Measuring Motion: What STAY Knows About TRAVEL

In summary: It is not relevant for STAY to calculate TRAVEL clock/calendarNo, it's not irrelevant. But it's not something that STAY needs to worry about.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'm sorry if I ask the basic question here again. Just need confirmation.
ST-Zoom.jpg

V = 0.6; Gamma = 1.25
TRAVEL travels at 0.6c. STAY stays.
Pic 02 is Pic 01 boosted -V.
1. All STAY knows about TRAVEL is:
Proper Time
Speed
Is this true? And mutually for TRAVEL
2. At B (and C) all STAY knows about TRAVEL proper distance is the distance at B1 (and C1 distance for C).
3 . At B, STAY never knows about C. And C never knows about B. Is this true?
4. It is not relevant for STAY to calculate TRAVEL clock/calendar
For example:
At B, supposedly 1st January 2015; 10:00 AM, there's no need for STAY to calculate when is B1, because there is no certainity/assurance that at start STAY and TRAVEL clocks were synchronized.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In short what STAY knows about TRAVEL?
A. Proper Time
B. Speed
C. Distance (late by the time that light takes to travel from TRAVEL to STAY, for example B can only calculate proper distance from B1 to STAY. STAY's X coordinate always zero, right)
D. Red/Blue shifted. But it's already known right. How can we know proper time and speed if we don't know about Red/Blue shifted.
E. Anything else?

Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
1. All STAY knows about TRAVEL is:
Proper Time
Speed
Is this true? And mutually for TRAVEL
It can also know the crew size of the spacecraft , and many other things. In other words: do you expect knowledge to be limited somehow?

Stephanus said:
2. At B (and C) all STAY knows about TRAVEL proper distance is the distance at B1 (and C1 distance for C).
All they can observe up to that point: right.
Stephanus said:
3 . At B, STAY never knows about C. And C never knows about B. Is this true?
What do you mean with "never"? They can observe that at some point in the future.
Stephanus said:
At B, supposedly 1st January 2015; 10:00 AM, there's no need for STAY to calculate when is B1, because there is no certainity/assurance that at start STAY and TRAVEL clocks were synchronized.
If you don't know the timekeeping system of someone else, you cannot say which time someone else has in this timekeeping system, but that is trivial: I don't know which year the Chinese calendar is in, even without relative motion.

Likes Stephanus
mfb said:
It can also know the crew size of the spacecraft , and many other things. In other words: do you expect knowledge to be limited somehow?
Come on, I like to make sense the basic SR here :smile:.
mfb said:
Stephanus said:
All they can observe up to that point: right.
Thanks. I suspected that much. But I need confirmation to know that I'm on the right track. Now I know I am. Thanks.
mfb said:
What do you mean with "never"? They can observe that at some point in the future.
In the future, yes. And that implies that but at B STAY knows nothing after B1. Thanks.
mfb said:
If you don't know the timekeeping system of someone else, you cannot say which time someone else has in this timekeeping system,
So proper time only. Yes.
mfb said:
but that is trivial: I don't know which year the Chinese calendar is in, even without relative motion.
:oldlaugh:
newyear.jpg

It's 2566. And it always advanced by 551 years from Julian calendar. But Islamic calendar is faster 1/33 to Julian calendar. I think somewhere between the year of 15.000 the Islamic calendar will catch up Julian calendar.

Related to Measuring Motion: What STAY Knows About TRAVEL

What is the definition of motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time.

What is the unit of measurement for motion?

The most commonly used unit of measurement for motion is meters per second (m/s).

How is speed different from velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction of motion.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity is changing.

How is motion measured?

Motion can be measured using tools such as rulers, stopwatches, and motion sensors. These tools can measure distance, time, and velocity to determine an object's motion.