Measuring Mems Capacitance with a Ring Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to measure the capacitance of a MEMS parallel plate capacitor. The professor suggests using a ring oscillator, but the person seeking help does not have much knowledge about circuit parts. They also ask about the expected value and frequency for measuring the capacitance and suggest using a capacitor bridge or an LCR meter. The conversation also mentions the need to compensate for the inductance and capacitance of the measuring circuit and the possibility of putting the circuit on the IC with the MEMS cap. A link to a resource on capacitor measurement is also provided.
kaikaiar10
Hi all, I need to find a way to measure the capacitance of a mems parallel plate capacitor, can anyone tell me some help on this? The professor suggested a ring oscillator, can someone tell me how can a ring oscillator measure capacitance? I don't have much background on circuit parts, so I appreciate any help

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a rough idea about what kind of value you would expect? Precision?
And at what frequency do you want to measure C?
If you are lucky and ordinary capacitor bridge will work, or even an LCR meter.

MEMS caps are tiny, right? You will need to compensate for the inductance and capacitance of your measuring circuit. Are you going to put the circuit on the IC with the MEMS cap?

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~boser/pdf/capacitor.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Measuring Mems Capacitance with a Ring Oscillator

1. What is a ring oscillator and how does it measure MEMS capacitance?

A ring oscillator is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an odd number of inverters connected in a loop. It generates a continuous square wave output, with the frequency of oscillation determined by the delay time and number of inverters in the loop. By measuring the frequency of the output, the capacitance of a MEMS device can be determined as it affects the delay time of the inverters.

2. What is MEMS capacitance and why is it important to measure?

MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) capacitance refers to the ability of a device to store an electrical charge. It is an important parameter to measure as it can affect the performance and functionality of MEMS devices, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and pressure sensors.

3. What are the advantages of using a ring oscillator to measure MEMS capacitance?

One of the main advantages of using a ring oscillator is its simplicity and low cost. It also provides a non-invasive and non-destructive method of measuring capacitance, making it ideal for testing and characterization of MEMS devices.

4. Are there any limitations to using a ring oscillator for measuring MEMS capacitance?

While a ring oscillator can provide accurate and reliable measurements, it may not be suitable for all types of MEMS devices. Some devices may have complex capacitance structures that cannot be accurately measured by a ring oscillator. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and voltage fluctuations can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How can the accuracy of measuring MEMS capacitance with a ring oscillator be improved?

To improve the accuracy of measurements, it is important to calibrate the ring oscillator with known capacitance values. This can be done by using external calibration standards or by using a reference MEMS device with a known capacitance. Additionally, reducing noise and minimizing environmental factors can also improve the accuracy of the measurements.