Measuring Laser Drilled Hole Diameter in Ceramic Specimens

In summary, Lenox Laser does this kind of work. You may wish to have them perform an analysis using their metrology equipment. Otherwise, some scopes with precision stages will tell you down to about +/- 5 millionths of an inch.
bhartish
I have laser drilled hole thin ceramic specimens and I am required to measure the diameter of the holes. Suggest me some methods.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lenox Laser does this kind of work. You may wish to have them perform an analysis using their metrology equipment. Otherwise, some scopes with precision stages will tell you down to about +/- 5 millionths of an inch.

what diameter hole and to what accuracy do you wish to measure?
i have been selling Metrology Instruments since 1980 and can provide some small input to your requirement

shine a light through it, measure the radius of its shadow, and correct for the distance?

"what diameter hole and to what accuracy do you wish to measure?
i have been selling Metrology Instruments since 1980 and can provide some small input to your requirement
"

its approximately 2mm. I am checking for the repeatability of the experiment. But the shape is irregular.

"Lenox Laser does this kind of work. You may wish to have them perform an analysis using their metrology equipment. Otherwise, some scopes with precision stages will tell you down to about +/- 5 millionths of an inch."

Can I get some elaboration on this ?

if the diameter is not round then a diametric measurement is not easy.

there are four most common methods to calculate a diameter.

Maximum Inscribe circle (MIS), Minimum circumscribed circle (MCC), Least Squares method (LS)
and Zone or Minimal Radial Separation (MRS) which uses the MIS and MCC method
to what tolerance do you need to measure?

your desired measurement accuracy will determine the measurement method

I am actually looking into the instruments which I can use.

Any type of decent measuring microscope or optical comparator should work fine, something like these : http://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1410 or http://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1620

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes fine I am using Tool makers microscope. But I want to know , for an irregular hole , how many measurements would be appreciable?.

The number/type of measurments depends on the specification or function of the hole.

I have laser hole (1mm-2mm dia) drilled specimens . How to measure heat affected zone ?

Related to Measuring Laser Drilled Hole Diameter in Ceramic Specimens

1. How is the diameter of a laser-drilled hole in a ceramic specimen measured?

The diameter of a laser-drilled hole in a ceramic specimen is typically measured using a specialized tool called a laser micrometer. This instrument uses a laser beam to accurately measure the diameter of the hole by detecting the change in light intensity as the beam passes through the hole.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of laser hole diameter measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of laser hole diameter measurements, including the quality and stability of the laser beam, the material and surface properties of the ceramic specimen, and the alignment and calibration of the laser micrometer.

3. Can the laser micrometer be used to measure the depth of a laser-drilled hole?

No, the laser micrometer is only capable of measuring the diameter of a hole. To measure the depth of a laser-drilled hole, a separate instrument such as a depth micrometer or a profilometer would be needed.

4. Are there any alternative methods for measuring the diameter of laser-drilled holes in ceramic specimens?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring the diameter of laser-drilled holes in ceramic specimens, such as using a traditional caliper or measuring microscope. However, these methods may not be as accurate or precise as using a laser micrometer.

5. Is there a standard procedure for measuring laser-drilled hole diameter in ceramic specimens?

Yes, there are standard procedures and guidelines for measuring laser-drilled hole diameter in ceramic specimens, such as those outlined by organizations like ASTM International. These procedures typically involve proper calibration and alignment of the laser micrometer, as well as multiple measurements at different points along the hole to ensure accuracy.