Measuring entangled state of degenerate eigenstates

In summary, after measuring the energy of system B, the state of the system AB remains unchanged, up to a constant factor.
maxverywell
Let's suppose that we have an entangled state of two systems ##A## and ##B##:
$$
\frac{1}{2}\left(|\psi_1 \phi_1\rangle+|\psi_2 \phi_2\rangle \right)
$$
where ##|\psi \rangle## and ##|\phi \rangle## are energy eigenstates of ##A## and ##B## respectively. However the eigenstates##|\phi_1\rangle## and ##|\phi_2\rangle## are degenerate:
$$
\hat{H}_B|\phi_1\rangle=E|\phi_1\rangle
$$
$$
\hat{H}_B|\phi_2\rangle=E|\phi_2\rangle
$$
What will be the state of the system ##AB## after measuring the energy of ##B## and finding the value ##E##?
My guess is:
$$
\frac{\left(|\psi_1\rangle+|\psi_2 \rangle \right)}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{\left(|\phi_1\rangle+\phi_2\rangle \right)}{\sqrt{2}}
$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Has the measurement revealed anything about the state that you didn't already know?

If the state is
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Big(|\psi_{1}\rangle|\phi_{1}\rangle +|\psi_{2}\rangle|\phi_{2}\rangle\Big)[/itex]
And
[itex]\hat{H}_{B}|\phi_{1}\rangle= E|\phi_{1}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\hat{H}_{B}|\phi_{2}\rangle =E|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex]
then measuring the energy of B without touching A has the effect of applying the operator [itex]\big(I\otimes\hat{H}_{B}\big)[/itex] onto the state, giving us
[itex]\big(I\otimes\hat{H}_{B}\big)\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Big(|\psi_{1}\rangle|\phi_{1}\rangle +|\psi_{2}\rangle|\phi_{2}\rangle\Big)[/itex].
As a result, the state us unaltered, up to a constant factor:
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Big(\big(I\otimes\hat{H}_{B}\big)|\psi_{1}\rangle|\phi_{1}\rangle +\big(I\otimes\hat{H}_{B}\big)|\psi_{2}\rangle|\phi_{2}\rangle\Big)[/itex]
[itex]=E\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Big(|\psi_{1}\rangle|\phi_{1}\rangle +|\psi_{2}\rangle|\phi_{2}\rangle\Big).[/itex]

Likes Mentz114
I think that measuring energy and acting on the state with the Hamiltonian operator is not the same thing. For example, if the state is a superposition of energy eigenstates, then this state is also an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, and acting with the Hamiltonian operator on this state doesn't change it. However, measuring the energy will change the state ("collapse it") to one of the eigenstates that compose the initial superposition state.

In my example It seems wrong that measuring the energy of the system B won't have any effect on its state or the state of the whole system AB. Think that if the states ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## weren't degenerate (i.e. ##E_1 \neq E_2##), then after the measurement the state of the system B would be ##\phi_1## or ##\phi_2##, therefore the state of the AB becomes ##\psi_1 \phi_1## or ##\psi_2\phi_2##, depending on the outcome of the measurement (##E_1## or ##E_2##). In the degenerate case, the measurement of the energy cannot distinguish this two states in principle, thus creating a superposition of them.

Now that I have rethought it, I think that https://www.physicsforums.com/members/jfizzix.190322/ is right, but cannot delete my last post.

Likes Jilang

Related to Measuring entangled state of degenerate eigenstates

What is an entangled state?

An entangled state is a quantum state in which the individual particles are so strongly correlated that the state of one particle cannot be described independently of the state of the other particle. In other words, the particles are inextricably linked and their properties are entangled with each other.

How do you measure the entangled state of degenerate eigenstates?

To measure the entangled state of degenerate eigenstates, one must perform a joint measurement on both particles in the state. This can be done using techniques such as Bell state measurements or quantum state tomography.

What is the significance of measuring entangled states?

Measuring entangled states is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave at a fundamental level. It also has practical applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum communication.

Can entangled states be created artificially?

Yes, entangled states can be created artificially in a controlled laboratory setting. This is typically done by using quantum systems such as photons, ions, or superconducting circuits and manipulating their properties using various techniques.

How does measuring entangled states differ from measuring classical states?

Measuring entangled states differs from measuring classical states in that it involves a measurement on the joint state of multiple particles, rather than just individual particles. Additionally, the results of measuring an entangled state can exhibit non-classical correlations and behaviors, such as quantum superposition and quantum entanglement.