How Do You Convert CO2 PPMV in Air to PPMW in Water?

In summary, the author is working on making a device to measure dissolved CO2 in water in ppm and is looking for help with calculating the concentration in ppmw. The author found a document that explains the Krichevsky-Kasarnovsky Equation and was able to figure it out.
alwayslearning
Measuring CO2

I have been searching for an answer to this for quite a while, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. I've spent quite a bit of time digging and reading, and I've found plenty of information, but I'm not always sure what to make of it. I am working on making myself a small electronic device to measure the dissolved CO2 in water in ppm by weight.

I'm going to make a small sealed chamber that will have an opening only to the water (but not to the atmosphere). The CO2 will off gas into the chamber until the concentration of CO2 in chamber becomes at equilibrium with the concentration in the water. I know that some of the CO2 will be converted into carbonic acid, but as I understand it, the majority of it will remain as CO2, and for the precision I'm going for I think I can just ignore that.

I'm going to place a small CO2 air sensor in the chamber that I will connect to a micro controller. The CO2 sensor reads concentration in ppmv. I'll also put a temperature sensor in there since I'm pretty sure I'll need to correct for temperature.

The problem I'm having is taking the ppm by volume and equating it to the concentration of CO2 in water, which needs to be reported in ppm by weight. I can't find a formula to do the conversion, and it's been so long since I took physics (I'm 37), so I'm completely unable to figure this out at this point.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's V ppmv in the chamber, than what's the W ppmw in the water. Anybody have any ideas on how you'd calculate this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Google for Henry's law, and more specific, for Krichevsky-Kasarnovsky Equation, modeling the system CO2-H2O

What's funny is that when I read your comment my first thought was "of course I've already read that, why else would I be here?" Except I hadn't read into Krichevsky-Kasarnovsky Equation, so I went off and did that first. The part that was missing for me was the weight in water to volume in air relationship. In my search I found a document on the Krichevsky-Kasarnovsky Equation that explained this clearly. From there I went back to the parts I needed from Henry's law, which made more sense to me, and I was able to figure it out — even correcting for temperature!

So, thank you for your very simple answer! It was better than just getting a formula, because now I actually understand what the numbers mean.

Related to How Do You Convert CO2 PPMV in Air to PPMW in Water?

What is dissolved CO2 in water?

Dissolved CO2 in water refers to the amount of carbon dioxide gas that has been absorbed and dissolved in water. This process occurs naturally in bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, and oceans, as well as in domestic and industrial water systems.

Why is measuring dissolved CO2 in water important?

Measuring dissolved CO2 in water is important for a variety of reasons. It can help identify sources of pollution, monitor water quality, and assess the health of aquatic ecosystems. Additionally, dissolved CO2 levels can affect the pH of water, which can have an impact on aquatic organisms and the overall balance of the ecosystem.

How is dissolved CO2 in water measured?

There are several methods for measuring dissolved CO2 in water, including titration, colorimetry, and gas chromatography. These methods involve collecting a water sample, adding a reagent or indicator, and then measuring the resulting color change or gas concentration to determine the amount of dissolved CO2 present.

What are some factors that can affect dissolved CO2 levels in water?

The amount of dissolved CO2 in water can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, colder water can hold more CO2 than warmer water, and increased pressure can also increase the amount of dissolved CO2. Additionally, the presence of pollutants or organic matter can affect the levels of dissolved CO2 in water.

What are the potential environmental impacts of high levels of dissolved CO2 in water?

High levels of dissolved CO2 in water can have negative impacts on aquatic organisms, as well as the overall health of the ecosystem. This can include acidification of the water, which can harm fish and other aquatic life, as well as changes in the pH levels which can affect the growth and survival of plants and algae. Additionally, high levels of dissolved CO2 can contribute to global climate change as it is a greenhouse gas.