Measuring Constant of Gravitation in Basement - Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple experiment that can be done in one's basement to determine the constant of gravitation. One person notes that the setup is similar to a childhood cartoon show where a free-swinging pendulum is used to measure Earth's rotation. They express a doubt about whether the experiment might be affected by natural rotation, to which another person confirms that it is not influenced in the same way as a pendulum. They mention that the experiment uses a torsion balance and is mostly determined by the masses used. The conversation ends with someone sharing their experience of doing the experiment as a practical lab and using a telescope to view the results.
Patta1667
The other day I was reading a simple experiment to determine (yes, very roughly) the constant of gravitation, all using simple tools in your basement.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/"

What struck me about this experiment is another that I remember from childhood cartoon shows - using a free-swinging pendulum which will 'rotate' due to Earth's rotation over the course of a day. I suddenly got the notion in my head that this gravitation experiment, where the two masses are hung by a string, might be affected by natural rotation! Someone please either confirm this potential error, or help me get this doubt out of my head.

PS: I'm assuming the damping 'stuff' is the solution to my question, if anyone can fill in the blanks it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The experiment in the link you provided is a torsion balance. It is not influenced by the Earths gravitational field or rotation in the same way that a pendulum is. It's motion is almost entirely determined by the masses used in the experiment.

Thank you TurtleMeister, I'm sure I'll learn more about these later on, but thanks for clearing any doubts.

It's not impossible, we use to do it as an ugrad practical lab. the only 'special' equipement we used was an internal room in a basement (an old darkroom) that was well insulated from vibration and temperature changes.
We used a telescope viewing through a window in the wall rather than a camera.

Related to Measuring Constant of Gravitation in Basement - Experiment

1. What is the purpose of measuring the constant of gravitation in a basement experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the gravitational constant, also known as the universal gravitational constant, which is a fundamental constant in physics that quantifies the attractive force between two objects with mass.

2. How is the constant of gravitation measured in a basement experiment?

In this experiment, a pendulum is used to measure the gravitational force between two objects. The period of the pendulum is measured and used to calculate the gravitational constant using the equation: G = 4π2l/T2m, where G is the gravitational constant, l is the length of the pendulum, T is the period, and m is the mass of the objects.

3. Why is a basement chosen as the location for this experiment?

A basement is typically chosen for this experiment because it provides a stable and controlled environment with minimal external disturbances. This is important for accurate measurements as any external factors, such as wind or vibrations, can affect the results.

4. How accurate are the results of this experiment in determining the constant of gravitation?

The accuracy of the results depends on the precision of the measurements and the equipment used. With careful calibration and control of external factors, the experiment can provide accurate results with a margin of error of around 1%.

5. What are the applications of knowing the constant of gravitation?

Knowing the constant of gravitation is crucial for understanding the behavior of objects in the universe and for many practical applications. It is used in the fields of astronomy, space exploration, and engineering, and is also important for developing accurate models and equations in physics.