Measuring Centripetal Acceleration Geometrically

In summary, one can measure centripetal acceleration without relying on force measurements by using a Cartesian coordinate system and measuring the position of the object as a function of time. This allows for the calculation of the object's total acceleration, including its change in direction in circular motion. This can be applied to any path, including a circular one, and only requires at least two rulers to measure the object's position in a plane.
scott_alexsk
Is there a way to measure centripetal acceleration independent of a force measurement? If I had just a ruler, and a ball was rolling along a circular path, could I 'measure' the centripetal acceleration itself, without resorting to finding the radius, period, etc. Someone once told me that this is a special case of acceleration, with rotating frames, but then what does the acceleration mean, in the rate of change of the angle of inclination of the frame?

Thanks,
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a bit confusing.

Maybe you can illustrate what you mean by doing this with linear motion and demonstrate what you wanted to do with the regular linear acceleration, presuming that what you want to do is clear with this case.

Zz.

v^2 / r How can you measure something without units of measurement? Acceleration is a change in the velocity. Acceleration is there because there is a change in direction in circular motion.

scott_alexsk said:
Is there a way to measure centripetal acceleration independent of a force measurement? If I had just a ruler, and a ball was rolling along a circular path, could I 'measure' the centripetal acceleration itself, without resorting to finding the radius, period, etc. Someone once told me that this is a special case of acceleration, with rotating frames, but then what does the acceleration mean, in the rate of change of the angle of inclination of the frame?

Thanks,
-Scott

I assume you're interested in the Newtonian case.

For convenience, set up a Cartesian coordinate system (x,y,z).

Measure x(t), y(t), and z(t), the position of the object as a function of time.

The object's acceleration vector will then be d^2 x / dt^2, d^2 y/ dt^2, d^2 z / dt^2. (This works for any path, including a circular one).

The magnitude of this vector will be the total acceleration.

Note that you'll need at least two rulers if the ball is on a plane, i.e. you'll need to measure x and y.

Thank you prevect. That is a very useful (and simple) definition.

-Scott

Related to Measuring Centripetal Acceleration Geometrically

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the speed and radius of the object's motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration measured geometrically?

Centripetal acceleration can be measured geometrically using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula can be applied to different types of motion, such as uniform circular motion or non-uniform circular motion.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of a circle. In circular motion, these two accelerations work together to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. What are some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include the motion of a car around a curve, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, or the movement of a satellite in orbit around the Earth. Any object or vehicle that moves in a circular path experiences centripetal acceleration.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the velocity and radius of an object's motion are in opposite directions, causing the object to slow down and move towards the center of the circle. Negative centripetal acceleration is often referred to as centripetal deceleration.