Measuring Blocks Equilibrium Displacements

In summary: Ah, yes - I forgot ##\gamma## is defined as a multiplier on the mass. Not a convention I've come across. Seems a bit weird.Yes, \gamma is the multiplier on the mass.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1594946939262.png

1594946961290.png

"The displacements of the blocks
from equilibrium are both measured to the right. Block 1 has a mass of 15 grams and block 2 a mass of 10 grams. The spring constants of the springs are shown in dynes/cm."
I don't know if i understood very well the notation, but i interpreted as F(t) acting only in x2

I started writing a system, before i go on i want to know if it is right, seems quite laborious and tiring solve it :eek:

What you think about?

## {15×(d^2 x1)/(dt^2) = -15 x1 - 90 (x1 - x2) - 15(dx1)/(dt) + cos(w t)} ##
## {(d^2 x2)/(dt^2) = -x2 - 9 (x2 - x1) - (dx2)/(dt)} ##

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: All below
Relevant Equations:: All below

View attachment 266454
View attachment 266455
"The displacements of the blocks
from equilibrium are both measured to the right. Block 1 has a mass of 15 grams and block 2 a mass of 10 grams. The spring constants of the springs are shown in dynes/cm."
I don't know if i understood very well the notation, but i interpreted as F(t) acting only in x2

I started writing a system, before i go on i want to know if it is right, seems quite laborious and tiring solve it :eek:

What you think about?

## {15×(d^2 x1)/(dt^2) = -15 x1 - 90 (x1 - x2) - 15(dx1)/(dt) + cos(w t)} ##
## {(d^2 x2)/(dt^2) = -x2 - 9 (x2 - x1) - (dx2)/(dt)} ##
Where does the third 15 in the first equation come from? Should that be γ?
Please resist the temptation to plug in numbers straight away. Create variables as necessary and keep everything symbolic until the end. It has many advantages, including making it easier for others to follow your algebra.

haruspex said:
Where does the third 15 in the first equation come from? Should that be γ?
Please resist the temptation to plug in numbers straight away. Create variables as necessary and keep everything symbolic until the end. It has many advantages, including making it easier for others to follow your algebra.
The third 15.
F = -bv = -m*y*v = -15*1*v

"Create variables as necessary and keep everything symbolic until the end." I totally agree with you, the problem here is that i though that maintain all the k in the solution would be a problem, because if the system is right, what immediately i would do is or assume x1 and x2 as something like A*cos + B*sin, or i would try to find a matrix what would lead me to a characteristic polynomial, so i would find w and their normal modes A (and, if this would be right, i see how tiring would be to handle the three coefficients k in a (probably) two degree equation

LCSphysicist said:
F = -bv = -m*y*v = -15*1*v
Ah, yes - I forgot ##\gamma## is defined as a multiplier on the mass. Not a convention I've come across. Seems a bit weird.
Note that using symbols instead of numbers would have alerted me to that.😉

Last edited:
The differential equations of @LCSphysicist in post #1 look correct to me. I assume that the question is asking for the average rate of dissipation of energy after the transient part of the solution has died away. So, you only need to find the steady-state part of the solution (which doesn't depend on the initial conditions). It shouldn't be too bad if you use computer software to carry out the algebra.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is the purpose of measuring block equilibrium displacements?

The purpose of measuring block equilibrium displacements is to determine the stability and equilibrium of a structure or object. This information is crucial in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and durability of a structure.

2. How is the equilibrium displacement of a block measured?

The equilibrium displacement of a block is typically measured using a force plate or load cell. These devices can accurately measure the force and displacement of an object, allowing for the calculation of equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium displacement of a block?

The equilibrium displacement of a block can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load, the shape and size of the block, and external forces such as wind or seismic activity. Temperature and humidity can also play a role in the equilibrium displacement.

4. What are the units of measurement for block equilibrium displacement?

The units of measurement for block equilibrium displacement are typically in meters (m) or millimeters (mm). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in inches (in) or centimeters (cm).

5. How can the results of measuring block equilibrium displacements be used?

The results of measuring block equilibrium displacements can be used to assess the stability and safety of a structure, identify potential structural weaknesses, and make necessary adjustments or reinforcements. This information is also valuable in analyzing the effects of external forces and predicting the behavior of the structure in different conditions.