Measuring Bendiness: Exploring Units and Techniques for Accurate Measurements

• Thread starter MrPickle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, the student attempted to solve a math problem but was not sure how to do so. He drew a table to measure bendiness but did not know what unit to use. He decided on angle deflection per pound and it worked.
MrPickle

Homework Statement

I need to draw a table measuring bendiness but I don't know what unit or how bendiness would be measured.

Homework Equations

//

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the table up, just I need a unit for bendyness

Physics news on Phys.org
MrPickle said:

Homework Statement

I need to draw a table measuring bendiness but I don't know what unit or how bendiness would be measured.

Homework Equations

//

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the table up, just I need a unit for bendyness

Well you might have to make one up! How about deflection per unit of force applied. So that would be meters/Newton or cm/Newton or inches/pound or feet/pound.

Okay, this was my initial thought but I'm not sure how well it'll work.

DivingBoard.jpg

A line for the original position and length and then one going from the start of that one to the end of the diving board after it's bent.

You could then work out the angle inbetween?

MrPickle said:
Okay, this was my initial thought but I'm not sure how well it'll work.

DivingBoard.jpg

A line for the original position and length and then one going from the start of that one to the end of the diving board after it's bent.

You could then work out the angle inbetween?

Do you have the deflection of the tip of the diving board from its original position? If so, use that. If not, your idea is perfectly good. After all, it's your graph and what you want to do is to clearly convey information. In this case your effort should be judged on that criteria.

All I have is the weight of the object and the distance it is away from the start of the diving board. The distance is kept constant and the weight's the one changing (Independent variable?)

MrPickle said:
All I have is the weight of the object and the distance it is away from the start of the diving board. The distance is kept constant and the weight's the one changing (Independent variable?)

Okay, so your angle idea sounds good. You could use angle deflection per pound. As I said before all you're trying to do is communicate what's happening and as long as you explain what you mean it should be okay.

Related to Measuring Bendiness: Exploring Units and Techniques for Accurate Measurements

1. What is the purpose of measuring bendiness?

The purpose of measuring bendiness is to accurately determine the flexibility or stiffness of an object. This can be useful in various fields such as engineering, material science, and biomechanics.

2. How do you measure bendiness?

There are various techniques for measuring bendiness, such as using a ruler or caliper to measure the deflection of an object under a certain load, or using specialized tools like a flexometer or bend tester. The choice of measurement technique will depend on the type of material and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What are the units of measurement for bendiness?

The most commonly used unit for measuring bendiness is the degree of deflection, which is typically measured in degrees or radians. Other units such as inches, millimeters, or micrometers may also be used depending on the scale of the object being measured.

4. How do you ensure accurate measurements of bendiness?

To ensure accurate measurements of bendiness, it is important to use appropriate measurement techniques and tools, calibrate instruments regularly, and take multiple measurements to account for any potential errors. It is also important to follow standardized testing procedures to ensure consistency and comparability of results.

5. Can bendiness be measured in all materials?

Bendiness can be measured in most materials, as long as they have some degree of flexibility. However, the measurement techniques and units may vary depending on the material properties. For example, bendiness in metals may be measured in terms of yield strength, while bendiness in plastics may be measured in terms of modulus of elasticity.