Measuring a change in gravity - thought experiment question

In summary, there have been experiments and studies on the concept of gravitational shielding and its effects on gravity between the Earth and a mass being suspended by a rope. These experiments involve inserting different materials, such as lead, gold, diamonds, or glass, between the weight and the floor in an attempt to block gravity. However, there is no conclusive evidence that these materials can actually block gravity. Gravimetry, or the measurement of changes in gravity, is a common practice in such experiments.
brajesh
TL;DR Summary
Has anyone tried to measure a change in gravity?
Imagine I hang a mass from the ceiling of a building using a rope.
The mass is hanging 2m above the floor.

Also tied "in line" with this rope, and between the weight and the ceiling, is a scale that measures the weight of the mass.
Let's say the scale reads 10 Newtons.

Now, between the weight and the floor, I insert blades of different materials, in an effort to "block" gravity.
Maybe a blade of lead, or gold, or diamonds, or glass etc.

Has anyone tried experiments like these, to see if some materials can "block" gravity between the Earth and the mass, and notice any change in the hanging scale?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t know such experiments have been done but I assume the blade would become new additional gravity source to attract the device.

Likes brajesh
brajesh said:
Summary:: Has anyone tried to measure a change in gravity?

The mass is hanging 2m above the floor.

Also tied "in line" with this rope, and between the weight and the ceiling, is a scale that measures the weight of the mass.
Let's say the scale reads 10 Newtons.

Now, between the weight and the floor, I insert blades of different materials, in an effort to "block" gravity.
Maybe a blade of lead, or gold, or diamonds, or glass etc.

Has anyone tried experiments like these, to see if some materials can "block" gravity between the Earth and the mass, and notice any change in the hanging scale?
During a solar eclipse, the gravity of the Sun isn't blocked by the Moon!

Likes russ_watters
PeroK said:
During a solar eclipse, the gravity of the Sun isn't blocked by the Moon!
Lunar eclipse is an even better example because the entire Moon is in the Earth's total shadow (umbra).

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
brajesh said:
Summary:: Has anyone tried to measure a change in gravity?
The wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_shielding and its references covers much of what’s been considered. Be aware that the concept is something of a crackpot magnet.

Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK
Crackpot magnet? Or crackpot mu metal?

brajesh said:
The mass is hanging 2m above the floor...

A building? Floor? Which floor? What building? Yes, of course people use scales all the time with different materials/amounts between them and Earth.

Likes Klystron, brajesh and PeroK

Related to Measuring a change in gravity - thought experiment question

1. How can we measure a change in gravity?

We can measure a change in gravity by using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the strength of the gravitational field at a specific location. This can be done by measuring the acceleration of a falling object or by using a pendulum.

2. What factors can affect the measurement of gravity?

The factors that can affect the measurement of gravity include the mass and distance of the objects involved, as well as any other nearby objects that may also have a gravitational pull. The shape and composition of the Earth's surface can also have an impact on gravity measurements.

3. Is it possible to have a negative change in gravity?

No, it is not possible to have a negative change in gravity. Gravity is always a positive force that pulls objects towards each other. However, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the distance and mass of the objects involved.

4. Can we measure a change in gravity on different planets?

Yes, we can measure a change in gravity on different planets. Each planet has its own gravitational pull, which is determined by its mass and size. This means that the strength of gravity will be different on each planet, and it can be measured using the same methods as on Earth.

5. How can measuring a change in gravity help us understand the universe?

Measuring a change in gravity can help us understand the distribution of mass in the universe. By studying the gravitational interactions between objects, we can learn more about the structure and evolution of the universe. Additionally, measuring changes in gravity can also help us detect the presence of massive objects, such as black holes, that may not be visible through other means.