Measurement problem involving scale

In summary, the conversation discusses the dimensions and scale of a rectangular park, with an area of 5 hectares, and the corresponding map with dimensions of 5cm by 4cm. The scale factor is discussed, with the correct answer being 1:25000000. The importance of explaining one's reasoning is emphasized for better understanding.
rishch
A rectangular park has an area of five hectares (1 hectare = 10,000 meter square)

The dimensions of the park on a map are 5 cm * 4 cm

What is the scale of the map?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rishch :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

So the map of the park has sides 5cm by 4cm
The actual part has sides x by y
The area of the park is xy=50000m^2 (5 hectares)
The area of the map of the park is A=20cm^2

What is the definition of the scale factor?
What is the relationship between this and the area?
What have you tried?

The answer I got is 1:25,000,000. Is this correct ?

hi rishch! :wink:
rishch said:
The answer I got is 1:25,000,000. Is this correct ?

nope! :redface:

show your reasoning (in full, including some words) :smile:

Nobody ever answers my questions... :(

You can check your own answer:

a scale of 1:25000000 means that 1cm on the map is 250km IRL.
So the park has dimensions: 1000km by 1250km ... is that right?

This sort of reality check you don't need us for!
The best way to use us is to explain your reasoning and then we can best show you what underlying misunderstandings you may have. That way you learn better. I know it can make you feel silly to show your wrongness in public but don't worry: we've all been through this and we understand what it is like. Better that you are valiently wrong here, where it can benefit others as well, than hide it and get it wrong in an exam or worse - in real life.

Simon :smile:, sometimes less is more! :wink:

And the little guys try harder, eh: tiny-tim? :)
I know - sometimes I'm too wordy for my own good.

Related to Measurement problem involving scale

What is the measurement problem involving scale?

The measurement problem involving scale is a concept in science which refers to the difficulty in accurately measuring and quantifying phenomena or objects that are significantly larger or smaller than our human scale. This can be due to limitations in our tools and techniques, as well as the relativity of size and perspective.

Why is the measurement problem involving scale important to address?

The measurement problem involving scale is important to address because it affects the accuracy and reliability of scientific data and observations. It also impacts our understanding of the natural world, as many phenomena and objects exist beyond our human scale.

What are some examples of the measurement problem involving scale?

Examples of the measurement problem involving scale include measuring the size of the universe, quantifying the behavior of subatomic particles, and accurately estimating the weight of extremely large or small objects. It can also be seen in the challenges of measuring the impact of climate change or the accuracy of global maps.

How do scientists overcome the measurement problem involving scale?

Scientists use a variety of techniques and tools to overcome the measurement problem involving scale. This includes using mathematical equations and models, developing new technologies such as microscopes and telescopes, and collaborating with experts in different fields to gain a more complete understanding of the phenomenon being measured.

Are there any potential solutions to the measurement problem involving scale?

While the measurement problem involving scale is a fundamental challenge in science, there are ongoing efforts to address it. This includes advancements in technology, theoretical breakthroughs, and interdisciplinary collaborations. However, it is likely that this problem will continue to be a topic of exploration and discussion in the scientific community.