Measurement of (brightness of) double slit experiment

In summary, Noel suggests that the relation between brightness and interference pattern is proportional, but the prortionality factor is difficult to calculate. He also mentions that the interferometer version of the double slit experiment is a thought experiment, and that making the experiment at home is possible for a relatively low cost.
Lino
Hi,

I think that this is (should be) a straight forward question: when conducting the double slit experiment, is there a relationship between the brightness / measure of the light source and the sum of the "peaks" from the interference pattern? (I have done a number of searches but can't find a specific answer to this - any links / references would be greatly appreciated.)

On a slightly different note, am I right in saying that the quantum equivelant of this experiment (light source, silevered mirrors, half silvered mirror, detectors, etc. arranged in a square) is an idealised / thought experiment of the standard experiment?

Regards,

Noel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty simple relation - they are proportional. But that is not so easy to calculate the prortionality factor.
I am not so sure what experiment "in a square" you are thinking about. Some kind of interferometer probably. It is more or less related to double slit, but not strictly equivalent.
I don't understand why you call Young's double slit experiment "standard" and interferometer - "quantum". Both are pre-quantum - were conducted in 19th century.

The number of photons hitting the detector is the same regardless of the slit separation, assuming everything else is constant (slit width, distances, source brightness, exposure time) and assuming the angle subtended by the slit separation is very small as viewed from the source. That should give you your answer.

Thanks xts and Jeffkoch. Have you ever come across a good article / paper discussing this aspect of the experiment?

xts, I had only ever come across the interferometer version associated with quantum based discussions / articles - hence my misrepresentation - apologies. Especially given the 19th century reference, can this be anything other than a thought experiment? I kind of figured that, even with todays technology, getting the light so harmonised (if that's the right word) and then detecting it (or not) after it has passed through the arrangement would be exceptionall difficult or even (practically) impossible! Am I right?

Regards,

Noel.

can this be anything other than a thought experiment?
Both experiments: double slit and interferometer may be easily performed at home at cost of few € or none at all. Red laser pointer is a good light source for such play. Just a dark room, some alufoil with holes made with pins, wall as a screen, mirrors, piece of glass, etc.

My son performed Young's experiment when he was 11 years old ...

Google for hints how to make such experiments at home (you'll find lots of cases - from simples to be made in 10 mins, to more precise ones, but still at school level)

Thanks xts.

Related to Measurement of (brightness of) double slit experiment

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the nature of light and its behavior as both a wave and a particle. It involves shining a single beam of light through two narrow slits onto a screen, creating an interference pattern.

What is the purpose of measuring the brightness in a double slit experiment?

The purpose of measuring the brightness in a double slit experiment is to understand the intensity of the light and how it affects the interference pattern. This can provide valuable insights into the properties of light and its behavior.

How is the brightness measured in a double slit experiment?

The brightness can be measured by using a photometer, which is a device that measures the intensity of light. It typically uses a light-sensitive cell that converts light into an electric current, which can then be measured and used to determine the brightness of the light.

What factors can affect the brightness in a double slit experiment?

The brightness in a double slit experiment can be affected by several factors, including the intensity of the light source, the distance between the slits and the screen, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, any obstructions or imperfections in the slits or screen can also impact the brightness.

Why is it important to control the brightness in a double slit experiment?

Controlling the brightness in a double slit experiment is important because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. If the brightness is too high, it can overwhelm the interference pattern, and if it is too low, it may not be visible at all. By controlling the brightness, scientists can ensure that the experiment is performed under optimal conditions for accurate and consistent results.