Measurement and Uncertainities

• B
  • Thread starter Anonymous1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, The conversation is about finding the slope or gradient of a straight line and understanding why a specific x value (0.039) was chosen. The formula for finding the slope is mentioned and it is explained that choosing extreme points on the graph helps reduce error. The value 0.039 is also converted to SI units. The conversation ends with a thank you.
Anonymous1
TL;DR Summary
Can you guys help me, I do not understand this page.
77C90D88-1D44-42C0-B56F-03FC34E1C836_1_105_c.jpeg

Can someone explain this page to me please, Especially the part where it says (0.0390, 7.88).

By the way, I am new here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand how you must proceed to find the slope (or gradient) of a straight line? If so, please post an explanation to make sure that you do.

Likes Ibix
kuruman said:
Do you understand how you must proceed to find the slope (or gradient) of a straight line? If so, please post an explanation to make sure that you do.

Yeh, It is just (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)Here what I don't understand is why are they choosing 0.039 as a x value why can't they choose another point.

Anonymous1 said:
Yeh, It is just (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)Here what I don't understand is why are they choosing 0.039 as a x value why can't they choose another point.
You will notice that they chose the extreme points on the graph, the origin and the highest value. This reduces the error when you do the division. If the points are too close to each other, then the error in the estimate will be larger.

On edit: 0.039 m = 3.9 cm. That's the value in SI units at which the force is 7.88 N.

kuruman said:
You will notice that they chose the extreme points on the graph, the origin and the highest value. This reduces the error when you do the division. If the points are too close to each other, then the error in the estimate will be larger.

Oh yeh true,
thank you so much

Related to Measurement and Uncertainities

1. What is measurement uncertainty?

Measurement uncertainty refers to the potential error or variation in a measurement due to limitations in the measurement process, equipment, or human factors. It is an estimate of the range of values within which the true value of a measurement is likely to fall.

2. How is measurement uncertainty calculated?

Measurement uncertainty is typically calculated by combining the uncertainties associated with each step of the measurement process, including the instrument used, the environment, and the operator. This can be done using statistical methods or through a step-by-step analysis of the measurement process.

3. What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

Precision refers to the consistency or repeatability of a measurement, while accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, or accurate but not precise.

4. How can measurement uncertainty be reduced?

Measurement uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise instruments, controlling environmental factors, and improving measurement techniques. It is also important to properly calibrate and validate measurement equipment regularly.

5. Why is measurement uncertainty important?

Measurement uncertainty is important because it provides a measure of the reliability and validity of a measurement. It allows scientists to assess the quality of their data and make informed decisions about the significance of their results. It is also crucial in ensuring the accuracy and reproducibility of scientific findings.