Measure with a zero-energy fundamental state

In summary, the probability of measuring any of the possible values of A in the fundamental state is 0.
Keru
Homework Statement

Given the following Hamiltonian:
upload_2018-1-2_13-54-42.png

And the observable:
upload_2018-1-2_13-54-57.png

Calculate the probability of measuring any of the possible values of A in the fundamental state.

The attempt at a solution

I have calculated the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian, being the eigenvalues {0,5,6}
So the fundamental state have a zero energy. Is this relevant? Or has the same procedure as if the fundamental state was non-zero?
Also, how can I relate A and H? I'm very lost in Matrix Mechanics...

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_13-54-42.png
    upload_2018-1-2_13-54-42.png
    2 KB · Views: 736
  • upload_2018-1-2_13-54-57.png
    upload_2018-1-2_13-54-57.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 743
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that by fundamental state you mean the state of lowest energy or ground state. No, the zero that you get is irrelevant. The reference zero point of energy is arbitrary. Here it happens that one of the states of the system is at zero. For the other question, you have the eigenvector corresponding to the ground state in a form that looks something like |V1> = a1|1> + a2|2> + a3|3>. What is the interpretation of the coefficients ai?

Likes Keru
kuruman said:
I assume that by fundamental state you mean the state of lowest energy or ground state. No, the zero that you get is irrelevant. The reference zero point of energy is arbitrary. Here it happens that one of the states of the system is at zero. For the other question, you have the eigenvector corresponding to the ground state in a form that looks something like |V1> = a1|1> + a2|2> + a3|3>. What is the interpretation of the coefficients ai?

Yes, i meant ground state. I translated it wrong from Spanish.
I know the chances of getting every possible measure are |ai|2, and that ai = <Vi|V>. But I'm not sure what "V" is. I guess it must be a vector in order to get a scalar from the product, but what i (possibly wrongly) understand, is that V is a matrix containing the three possible eingenvectors... What am i missing?

You got three eigenvectors when you diagonalized the Hamiltonian. Of these three choose the one that corresponds to eigenvalue zero. That's vector V.

kuruman said:
You got three eigenvectors when you diagonalized the Hamiltonian. Of these three choose the one that corresponds to eigenvalue zero. That's vector V.

Wouldn't that be Vi?

No it would not. It would be |V> which is a 3×1 column vector corresponding to eigenvalue zero. Can you show me what eigenvector you got for eigenvalue zero?

kuruman said:
No it would not. It would be |V> which is a 3×1 column vector corresponding to eigenvalue zero. Can you show me what eigenvector you got for eigenvalue zero?

Sure.
$$ V_1= \frac {1} {\sqrt{3}} (-1 - i, 1, 0) $$

Good. Now think of this as a vector written in unit vector notation as
$$|V_1>= \frac {(-1-i)} {\sqrt{3}}|1> + \frac {1} {\sqrt{3}}|2>+\frac {0} {\sqrt{3}}|3>$$
where ##|1>,~|2>## and ##|3>## are the unit vectors or more correctly the ordered orthonormal basis set. It is the basis in which A is diagonal, that is ##<i|A|j>=A_i \delta_{ij}##. Note that you can also write ##V_1## in general as $$|V_1>= \sum_{k=1}^3a_k|k>$$
where ##a_k=<k|V_1>##. Now go back and read your post #3. Do you see what's going on?

Likes Keru
Ok, I finally got it. Had a confusion with the basis, but now i know what I was getting wrong. I'm still a newbie at QM, thanks for the patience and for the help, you have my sincere "like" !

(Thread can be closed now i guess)

Keru said:
(Thread can be closed now i guess)
Actually, no. Others may choose to post their comments. However, as the OP you can click "Mark Solved" (upper right) if you wish.

Related to Measure with a zero-energy fundamental state

1. What does it mean to "measure with a zero-energy fundamental state"?

Measuring with a zero-energy fundamental state refers to the process of using a baseline or reference state with no external energy added or removed as a standard for comparison. This can be used in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to measure the energy levels of a system relative to this zero-energy state.

2. How is the zero-energy fundamental state determined?

The zero-energy fundamental state is typically determined by measuring the energy of a system when no external energy is added or removed, such as at absolute zero temperature. In quantum mechanics, this state is known as the ground state, where the system has the lowest possible energy.

3. What is the significance of using the zero-energy fundamental state in measurements?

Using the zero-energy fundamental state as a reference point allows for more accurate and precise measurements of energy levels in a system. It also provides a standardized baseline for comparison, making it easier to compare different systems and their energy levels.

4. Can the zero-energy fundamental state change?

While the zero-energy fundamental state is used as a reference point for measurements, it does not necessarily mean that it cannot change. In some cases, external factors or changes in the system can alter the zero-energy state, and it may need to be recalibrated.

5. Are there any limitations to using the zero-energy fundamental state in measurements?

One limitation of using the zero-energy fundamental state is that it may not be applicable to all systems. Some systems may not have a true zero-energy state, or the measurement of this state may be challenging or impossible. Additionally, the zero-energy fundamental state may not accurately represent the behavior of a system at higher energy levels.