My Strange Observation: Anything Multiplied by 9 Equals 9

In summary, the speaker came across a strange observation while conducting mathematical calculations and experiments, which involves the digital root of numbers when multiplied by 9 always resulting in 9. This concept of digital root was explained as the process of adding all the digits in a number until only one digit remains. While this observation may not have direct real-life applications, it showcases the consistency and patterns found in mathematics. The speaker also mentions other interesting patterns and phenomena discovered in their research, such as the Fibonacci sequence, the Golden Ratio, and the Collatz conjecture across various fields.
decibel
i was playing with numbers the other day and noticed this

- Anything multiplied by 9, will equal 9 when added

this is really weird considering that it doesent work with any #

i know this belongs in the math forums, but using physics could generate a good theory,

it may be stupid but u never know...so any thoughts?, any observations would be appreciated also

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You will find the same "strangness" attached to 1 in a binary system, 2 in a teriary system. This behavior is a property of the largest integer.

Yes this belongs in the Math forums.

This is an interesting observation, but it is not entirely accurate. While it may seem like any number multiplied by 9 equals 9 when added, this is only true for single-digit numbers. For example, 9 x 2 = 18, and 1 + 8 = 9. However, if you were to multiply a number like 37 by 9, you would get 333, and 3 + 3 + 3 = 9. This pattern does not hold true for all numbers when multiplied by 9.

As for a theory or explanation for this observation, it could be related to the fact that 9 is the highest single-digit number. This means that when you add the digits of a number multiplied by 9, you will always end up with a single-digit number. This could be why it seems like any number multiplied by 9 equals 9 when added.

Another factor to consider is the base-10 number system that we use. In this system, any number multiplied by 9 will result in a number that ends in 9. For example, 13 x 9 = 117, and 7 + 1 = 8. This could also contribute to the pattern you observed.

Overall, while this is an interesting observation, it is not a universal truth and does not have a clear explanation. It may just be a coincidence or a result of the number system we use. Further exploration and experimentation with different numbers could help to shed more light on this observation.

1. How did you come up with this strange observation?

This observation was discovered through a series of mathematical calculations and experiments. I noticed a pattern when multiplying different numbers by 9 and further investigated it.

2. Does this observation hold true for all numbers?

Yes, this observation is true for all numbers. When multiplying any number by 9, the resulting product will always have a digital root of 9.

3. Can you explain the concept of digital root?

Digital root is the process of adding together all the digits in a number until only one digit remains. For example, the digital root of 123 is 1+2+3=6. In this observation, the digital root of any number multiplied by 9 will always be 9.

4. How does this observation apply to real-life situations?

This observation may not have direct real-life applications, but it can be used as a fun math trick or puzzle. It also demonstrates the patterns and consistency found in mathematics.

5. What other strange observations have you made in your research?

I have discovered many interesting and unexpected patterns in my research as a scientist. Some other strange observations include the Fibonacci sequence, the Golden Ratio, and the Collatz conjecture. These patterns and phenomena can be found in various fields such as mathematics, biology, and physics.