Meaning of an electronic circuit will oscillate?

In summary: It is a way of determining if a circuit can generate its own periodic signal without any external input. In summary, the Barkhausen stability criterion is a condition used to determine if an electronic circuit can oscillate on its own, without any external frequency input. It is a way of determining if the circuit can generate its own periodic signal and maintain a constant frequency output. This is achieved by controlling the input through feedback and amplification, allowing the circuit to sustain oscillations without any external signal.
amaresh92
i wonder if anyone can tell me the meaning of "The Barkhausen stability criterion is a condition to determine when an electronic circuit will oscillate."
in this what is the meaning of an electronic circuit will oscillate?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

Well, that the circuit acts as an oscillator; i.e. sustains oscillations (usually sinusoidal) and without any external signal coming in (although the circuit will of course still need to be powered).

f95toli said:
Well, that the circuit acts as an oscillator; i.e. sustains oscillations (usually sinusoidal) and without any external signal coming in (although the circuit will of course still need to be powered).

i found that the oscillator means to maintain a constant frequency output,but my doubt is we are giving input which also has a constant frequency?then what's the use of this?
will you please elaborate your answer?
and as i read, i feel that in this circuit we are controlling the input by giving feedback to it and the amplifier still amplify the input to the same extent as before.is it true?

The criterion tells you when a circuit will oscillate on its own, without any external frequency. When the criteria is met it is enough to power the circuit from e.g. a battery and it will still give the same frequency out.

Moreover, the frequency of the oscillation will only depend on the properties of the circuit (i.e. component values etc).

Related to Meaning of an electronic circuit will oscillate?

1. What is an electronic circuit?

An electronic circuit is a combination of electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, connected together to perform a specific function.

2. What does it mean for an electronic circuit to oscillate?

An electronic circuit oscillates when it produces a continuous alternating current or voltage output. This means that the current or voltage changes direction or magnitude periodically.

3. How does an electronic circuit oscillate?

An electronic circuit oscillates when it contains a feedback loop, which allows a portion of the output signal to be fed back into the input. This feedback causes the circuit to continuously switch between two states, resulting in an oscillating output.

4. What is the importance of understanding the meaning of an electronic circuit oscillation?

Understanding the meaning of an electronic circuit oscillation is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits. It allows engineers and scientists to predict and control the behavior of electronic devices, leading to more efficient and reliable technology.

5. What are some common applications of oscillating electronic circuits?

Oscillating electronic circuits have a wide range of applications, including in radio and television broadcasting, audio amplifiers, electronic clocks, and many other electronic devices. They are also used in various types of sensors, such as gyroscopes and accelerometers, to measure motion and rotation.