me with this projectile problem

• Thread starter mheghan23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves an airplane releasing a care package and determining the time it takes for the package to hit the ground, as well as its speed and direction just before it hits. By using the formulas for horizontal and vertical motion, and considering the effects of gravity, the time taken and velocity of the package can be calculated. Additionally, with some geometry and vector sum, the direction and resultant velocity can also be determined.
mheghan23
1.Figure shows an airplane moving horizontally with a constant velocity of 115 m/s at an altitude of 1050 m. The direction to the right and upward have been chosen at the positive directions. The plane releases a "care package". That falls to the ground along a curved trajectory. Ignoring air resistance determine the time required for the package to hit the ground.

2. For the same situation, find the speed of the package and the direction (angle) of the velocity vector. Just before the packages hits the ground.

horizontal motion
formula: X2= X1= Vx1t

Vertical motion
Y2=Y1+Vy1t - 0.5gt2

I Can't solve this because I don't how to solve this. My prof didn't gave us any clue for us to solve this problem..

so if you know the answer for this problem, please reply

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1, you just need to use the s = ut = 1/2at^2 formula to get the time taken to descend 1050. acceleration due to gravity is 9.81ms^-2, the initial vertical velocity is zero. plug in the values into the formula.

For 2, the horizontal velocity is the same. use the v = u + at formula to get the final vertical velocity and with a bit of geometry and vector sum you will get the direction and the resultant velocity.

Related to me with this projectile problem

1. How do I solve a projectile problem?

To solve a projectile problem, you will need to use the equations of motion for a projectile. These include the equations for distance, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to take into account any external forces acting on the projectile, such as gravity or air resistance.

2. What is the formula for projectile motion?

The formula for projectile motion is d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This formula applies to objects moving in a linear path, without any external forces acting on them.

3. How do I find the maximum height of a projectile?

To find the maximum height of a projectile, you will need to use the formula h = v0^2sin^2θ/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the values and solve for h to find the maximum height.

4. What is the difference between range and distance in a projectile problem?

Range refers to the total horizontal distance traveled by a projectile, while distance refers to the total distance traveled by the projectile, including any vertical movement. Range only takes into account the horizontal component of the projectile's motion, while distance takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components.

5. Can air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Yes, air resistance can affect the motion of a projectile. It is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to slow down. In some cases, air resistance can significantly impact the trajectory and distance of the projectile, so it is important to consider in projectile problems.