MCNP6 is not printing an MCTAL file

In summary, the conversation revolves around an issue with MCNP6 where a mctal file is not being created after running a simulation and receiving an error message. The person suggests deleting all mctal files and states that the issue may be related to the error. It is mentioned that this issue has occurred multiple times and they have another thread discussing it.
khary23
I am having an issue with MCNP6. When I run a simulation an output file is created, but not a mctal file. This behavior started after getting the following error

forrtl: severe <157> : program exception -access violation

I restarted and didn't get the error, but now not the mctal file and I think it maybe related. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
perhaps too much mctal file created. Try to del all mctal files (mctal, mctab, …)

It happens even when there are no other mctal files. I think it has something to do with that error.

khary23 said:
I am having an issue with MCNP6. When I run a simulation an output file is created, but not a mctal file. This behavior started after getting the following error

forrtl: severe <157> : program exception -access violation
Is this thread another description of the problem you had in your other thread?

Mark44 said:
Is this thread another description of the problem you had in your other thread?
Yes this was the initial thread when the issue had only happened a few times.

Then I will close this thread. Please take a look at the other thread to see if I have answered your question.

Related to MCNP6 is not printing an MCTAL file

1. Why is MCNP6 not printing an MCTAL file?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the MCTAL file option was not included in the input file. Another reason could be that there was an error in the input file or the MCNP6 installation. It is also possible that the simulation did not produce any tally data, resulting in no MCTAL file being generated.

2. How can I include the MCTAL file option in the input file?

To include the MCTAL file option in the input file, you need to add the "mctal" keyword in the tally card. Make sure to also specify the desired name and format for the MCTAL file.

3. What should I do if there is an error in the input file or MCNP6 installation?

If you suspect that there is an error in the input file, carefully review the file for any mistakes or missing information. If the input file seems correct, try reinstalling MCNP6 to ensure that the software is properly installed. You can also consult the MCNP6 user manual or reach out to the MCNP support team for assistance.

4. Can the simulation run without producing any tally data?

Yes, it is possible for a simulation to run without producing any tally data, especially if the geometry or materials used in the simulation do not intersect with any tally regions. In this case, no MCTAL file will be generated.

5. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take if MCNP6 is not printing an MCTAL file?

Yes, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take. First, make sure that the tally regions and detectors in the input file are properly defined. You can also try running the simulation with a simpler geometry or different tally options to see if the MCTAL file is generated. If these steps do not work, check for any error messages in the MCNP output file and consult the MCNP6 user manual for further assistance.