MCNP error : "geometry error in newcel"

In summary, the "geometry error in newcel" error in MCNP indicates a problem with the geometry defined in the input file, which can be caused by user input mistakes or common issues such as incorrect parameters or overlapping regions. To fix this error, carefully review and correct the geometry definition in the input file, and consider using a simpler geometry or the latest version of MCNP to prevent it from occurring.
Thomas B
Hello everyone,

trying a run I've got the following error message, and thus no output file since the run stopped by itsefl.
Please, has anyone encountered this error and would happen to know how to correct the input file ? (any hint help)

Thanks to all of you

MCNP error.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
like in the french forum (private joke) it is a geometry error,
PSR

Hi,
thanks to you, I found the error

i encountered this error too but i got ouput... i put the point source near the interface of two cells and the error arises

Related to MCNP error : "geometry error in newcel"

What is MCNP error "geometry error in newcel"?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through matter. The "geometry error in newcel" is an error message that indicates there is a problem with the geometry definition in the input file.

What causes the "geometry error in newcel" in MCNP?

The most common cause of this error is a mistake in the geometry definition, such as overlapping regions or incorrect material assignments. It can also occur if the geometry is too complex for the code to handle.

How can I fix the "geometry error in newcel" in MCNP?

To fix this error, you will need to carefully review your geometry definition and make sure there are no mistakes or overlapping regions. You may also need to simplify the geometry if it is too complex for the code to handle.

Can I prevent the "geometry error in newcel" from occurring in MCNP?

While it is not always possible to prevent this error from occurring, there are some steps you can take to reduce the chances of encountering it. These include carefully checking your geometry definition before running the code and simplifying the geometry if possible.

Is there any other way to troubleshoot the "geometry error in newcel" in MCNP?

If you are having trouble identifying the cause of the error, you can try using the MCNP visualizer tool to visualize your geometry and see if there are any obvious issues. You can also consult the MCNP user manual or seek help from other users in online forums or communities.