MC: Chemistry Ideal Gas vs Real Gas

In summary, when the volume of a real gas is increased at constant temperature, it behaves more like an ideal gas because the average distance between molecules becomes greater, reducing the frequency of collisions with the container walls. This is due to the fact that real gases have a physical size, but by increasing the volume, the molecules are spread out and have less interaction with each other, making their physical size less important.
yeahyeah<3

Homework Statement

24. At constant temperature, the behavior of a sample of a real gas more closely approximates that of an ideal gas as its volume is increased because the:
a. Collisions with the walls of the container become less frequent
b. Average molecular speed decreases
c. Average distance between molecules becomes greater
d. Average molecular kinetic energy decreases

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

I know when volume is increased, pressure is decreased (due to constant temp). And real gases behave most like ideal gases at low pressure. And real gases have small volume.. so I'm confused.
Through process of elimination I came to the answer of C. I'd like to know if it is correct and/or if there is a better way of approaching the problem.

Thanks so much! =]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ideal gases have no size - if you have a container of real molecules what can you do to make their physical size less important?

separate them so they experience no charge/attraction on each other?
I still feel like the answer is C, am i incorrect?The only possible choices are A and C

kinetic energy is effected by temp and speed has nothing to do with volume..?

Correct - at larger volumes (ie lower pressure) the the molecules take up a smaller percentage of the container and so are less likely to hit each other.

Related to MC: Chemistry Ideal Gas vs Real Gas

1. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept that follows the gas laws perfectly, while a real gas behaves differently due to intermolecular forces and the volume of its particles.

2. How is the ideal gas law different from the real gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, while the real gas law takes into account the volume of particles and intermolecular forces.

3. Why do real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior?

Real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior because they have volume and experience intermolecular interactions, which affect their pressure, volume, and temperature relationships.

4. What factors can cause a real gas to behave more like an ideal gas?

High temperature, low pressure, and small intermolecular forces can cause a real gas to behave more like an ideal gas. Additionally, increasing the volume of the container can also decrease deviations from ideal gas behavior.

5. What are some examples of real gases and their ideal gas counterparts?

Examples of real gases include oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide, while their ideal gas counterparts would be an ideal gas with the same properties. For example, oxygen would behave as an ideal gas at high temperature and low pressure.