Maybe stupid question - zero positive or negative ?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the statement "if taking any 3 Real numbers (a, b, c), we have at least 2 of the same sign" is true or false. The speaker initially believed it to be true and provided a possible proof using a triplet (x, y, z), but then questioned the inclusion of zero and added another value to the triplet. Eventually, it is concluded that the statement is false as there are cases where there are no same signs (e.g. (0, 0, 0), (-1, 0, 1)). The role of zero as neither positive nor negative is also clarified.
JPC

Homework Statement

Hi
I have to say true or false, and then demonstrate my answer
"if taking any 3 Real numbers (a, b, c), we have at least 2 of the same sign"

For me its true, i was thinking of creating a triplet (x, y, z), where
x=1 if "a" positive, x=0 if "a" negative, same for y, and z
and show that with the all the (x, y, z) possibilities, you had always 2 of the same sign

But then, i realized, what if one of the reals a, b, c is equal to 0 ?
like if (a, b, c) = (0, 0, 0)

Is zero considered positive or negative, or both ?

If so, i would have to add another value to the reals of the (x, y, z) triplet , 2, which i can then take as positive when i need or as negative when i need

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero is neither positiive nor negative.
Any real number that is positive is greater than zero, and any negative real number is less than zero.

ok thank you
then i must reply false to the proposition "if taking any 3 Real numbers (a, b, c), we have at least 2 of the same sign", because with (0, 0, 0) for example , we have none of the same sign

JPC said:
ok thank you
then i must reply false to the proposition "if taking any 3 Real numbers (a, b, c), we have at least 2 of the same sign", because with (0, 0, 0) for example , we have none of the same sign
Right. Another example is (1, 0, -1).

ok, thank you, you helped me save time not doing a long and incorrect maths demonstration :)

JPC said:
ok thank you

No. 0 is neither positive nor negative but is "its own sign". A better example is (-1, 0, 1).

Last edited by a moderator:
0 is non-negative.

JG89 said:
0 is non-negative.
Which does not answer the question (which had already been answered). 0 is also non-positive.

As others have already said, 0 is neither. 0 is basically the line between positive and negative.
:)

Related to Maybe stupid question - zero positive or negative ?

1) What does it mean to have zero positive or negative?

Having zero positive or negative means that the value or result is neutral or equally balanced. It is neither positive nor negative.

2) Can something be both zero positive and negative?

No, something cannot be both zero positive and negative at the same time. It must be one or the other.

3) How is zero positive or negative relevant in science?

In science, zero positive or negative can refer to values or results that are close to zero, indicating a small or negligible effect. It can also be used in mathematical equations to represent a neutral or balanced state.

4) Is zero positive or negative the same as zero?

No, zero positive or negative is not the same as zero. Zero refers to the absence of a quantity, while zero positive or negative refers to a neutral or balanced state.

5) Are there any real-life examples of zero positive or negative?

Yes, some real-life examples of zero positive or negative include the balance between positive and negative charges in an atom, the equilibrium point in chemical reactions, and the center of mass in physics.