Maxwell's Equations - Tensor form 2

In summary, the Lorenz gauge enables the Maxwell equations to be written as two uncoupled equations. The tensor form using the Lorenz gauge is, I am told,∂μ∂μ Aα = jα 3expanded this is: ∂2Φ/∂t2 - ∇2A = jα 4
IAN 25

Homework Statement

The Lorenz gauge ∂Φ/∂t + ∇. A = 0 enables the Maxwell equations (in terms of potentials) to be written as two uncoupled equations;
2Φ/∂t2 - ∇2Φ = ρ 1 and

2A/∂t2 - ∇2A = j 2

The tensor version using the Lorenz gauge
is, i am told,
μ∂μ Aα = jα 3

expanded this is: ∂2Φ/∂t2 - ∇2A = jα 4

where Jα is the 4-current; ρ + J

Homework Equations

[/B]
If one adds 1 and 2 one gets two terms not included in 4. Namely;

2A/∂t2 - ∇2Φ My query is, what happened to these terms when we go to 3 (or 4). Have I misunderstood the transition from 1 and 2 to the tensor forms?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
If one tries to cancel these terms, or equate their sum to zero, one sees that the first is a vector and the second a scalar. Secondly; ∂2A/∂t2 = ∂E/∂t which > 0 for a time varying field. And ∇2Φ = ∇. E = div E which also is not zero unless no charges are present, which they can be in 3.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IAN 25 said:
No, this is not correct. Expanded you get four different equations, one for each value of alpha.

Please could you tell me where can I find out how to do this? I understood from my texts that ∂μμ acting on a tensor was equivalent to ∂2 /∂t2 - ∇2 the d'Alambert operator. How do I get the other values of alpha?

IAN 25 said:
I understood from my texts that ∂μ∂μ acting on a tensor was equivalent to ∂2 /∂t2 - ∇2 the d'Alambert operator.
Yes, this is not what was incorrect. What was incorrect is that you let the different terms act on different components of the 4-potential.

Thanks but I'm still not sure what's wrong. I proved the EM tensor by writing all the terms out long hand i.e I did ∂αAβ - ∂βAα . By constructing two matrices and subtracting to get a resultant matrix from which I identified the elements of Fαβ the EM tensor. Should i take ∂μAα which I think results in a 16 element square matrix and then let ∂μ act on that to get the correct elements for jα ? I am not conversant with tensor algebra yet you see.

Can anyone actually show me what I am doing wrong here!

So you wrote
IAN 25 said:

Can you go step by step to show how you obtained this from
IAN 25 said:
∂μ∂μ Aα = jα 3

In particular, there is a free index in this equation. Which value did you put it to?

Hi Orodruin, actually this morning I did what I said above; first I expanded ∂μAν i.e. (∂t, ∂x,∂y,∂z )(Φ, Ax, Ay, Az) and got the 16 element tensor. Then I let ∂μ act on that tensor and got the 16 element tensor in 2nd derivatives; with all the time derivatives in the 1st column. The top line is ∂2tΦ - ∂2xΦ etc, i.e. ≡ ∂2Φ/∂t2 - ∇2Φ and in the remaining array if one assumes the terms in ∂2iAj = zero (i ≠ j) for the mixed spatial derivatives; then one obtains the 3 spatial vector components as you said I should. That is ∂2tAx - ∂2x, and the same for y and z.

Adding gives me the equation: ∂2A/∂t2 - ∇2A

If this is right
(and please say it is!) then i get back to the two equations 1 and 2 I started with and all is accounted for. NB I should have used superscripts for the spatial comps of A perhaps.

The last sentence in paragraph one above should read, ∂2tAx - ∂2Ax, and same for y and z components of A (spacial vector).

Sorry, line 2, I meant 4 element column tensor/matrix (in 61 terms - 4 on each row) in 2nd derivatives. Anyway I am satisfied that my workings are correct.

the equation: [itex] (Something~ done) X^a = Y^a[/itex] is not 1 equation... it's as many equations as are the values of a (a is not a summed/null index)... say that a=0,1,2,3...then it's 4 equations, which once you expand read:
[itex] (Something~ done) X^0 = Y^0[/itex]
[itex] (Something~ done) X^1 = Y^1[/itex]
[itex] (Something~ done) X^2 = Y^2[/itex]
[itex] (Something~ done) X^3 = Y^3[/itex]
As for example the [itex]\nabla^2 \vec{X} = \vec{Y}[/itex] is 3 equations and not 1.

your 3->4 transition is incorrect...in fact you destroyed a free index which is an unhealthy thing to do everywhere but especially in relativity. And you can also notice that from the fact that your equation 4 adds a scalar ∂2Φ/∂t2 with a vector ∇2A:nb). What would you say as a result to the [itex]2t^2 + \begin{pmatrix}2t \\ \sin t \\ u(t) \end{pmatrix}[/itex]? and of course equates it to the components of a 4 vector (which comes from destroying the free index)

Last edited:
I have now understood where I went wrong (actually I said that I know you can't equate a scalar to a vector). Multiplying out the tensors long hand I found my error. I don't really get what these free indices are yet.

Related to Maxwell's Equations - Tensor form 2

1. What are Maxwell's Equations in tensor form 2?

Maxwell's Equations in tensor form 2 are a set of four equations that describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. They are expressed in terms of tensors, which are mathematical objects that represent physical quantities and their relationships in a coordinate-independent manner.

2. Why are Maxwell's Equations expressed in tensor form 2?

Maxwell's Equations are expressed in tensor form 2 because it allows for a more elegant and compact representation of the equations. This form is also essential for understanding the symmetries and invariances of the equations, which are important principles in physics.

3. What is the significance of the tensor form 2 in Maxwell's Equations?

The tensor form 2 of Maxwell's Equations is significant because it reveals the underlying symmetries and invariances of the equations. This allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism and their relationship to each other.

4. How are Maxwell's Equations in tensor form 2 derived?

Maxwell's Equations in tensor form 2 are derived from the original four equations of electricity and magnetism, which were formulated by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century. These equations were then reformulated using tensor notation by Oliver Heaviside and Josiah Willard Gibbs in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, respectively.

5. What are the physical implications of Maxwell's Equations in tensor form 2?

Maxwell's Equations in tensor form 2 have several physical implications, including the existence of electromagnetic waves, the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and the principle of conservation of energy for electromagnetic fields. These equations also form the basis for many technological advancements, such as radio and microwave technology.