Maxwell's Eqns- HELP - Spherical EM wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric and magnetic fields of a spherical electromagnetic wave in vacuum, and finding their consistency with Maxwell's equations. The expression for the electric field is provided, and the conversation delves into finding the curl of E in spherical coordinates. Suggestions are given for how to approach the problem and integrate with respect to time.
Sean.Hampson

Homework Statement

The electric field of a spherical electromagnetic wave in vacuum can be written in the form of:

E(r,θ,phi)= A(sin(θ)/r)*[cos(kr-ωt)-(1/kr)sin(kr-ωt)]phi

Show that E is consistent with ALL of Maxwell's equations in vacuum and find the associated magnetic field.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated Curl E, which came out as

(Acos(θ)/r^2sin(phi))*(sin(kr-ωt)/ω) +(2Asin(theta)/r^2)*(sin(kr-ωt)/ω) -(kAsin(θ)/r)*(sin(kr-ωt)/ω)+(Asin(θ)/kr^3)*(cos(kr-ωt)/ω)...

I then tried to take the integral of this with respect to t to find B. although I ran into trouble, unknowing what to do with theta or r...

Any help would be much appreciated, maths isn't a strong point so I struggle with these type of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
E has to be a vector, what direction is it in? Does the phi at the end indicate a unit vector? The curl should not be such a long expression.

Yes the Phi indicates a unit vector,

so since we're working in the direction of phi, the E x Curl is

|r ... theta ...phi |
|d/dr...[(1/r*sin(phi))*d/dtheta] ...[(1/r) d/dphi] |
|0... 0 ...E |

I've tried to represent it well here, I hope it makes sense. I just petformed the Determinant and I got that long line out. I also used maple and got something quite similar :/ any suggestions ?

Thank you for your help.

I'm not so sure the determinant trick works for calculating the curl in spherical coordinates. As far as I know it only applies in cartesian, though I could be wrong. Looking at the expression from the Griffiths text for curl in spherical coordinates, we only have [itex] E_{\phi}[/itex] so it reduces to:
[tex]
\nabla \times {E} = \frac{1}{rsin\theta} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(sin\theta E_{\phi}) \right) \hat{r} - \frac{1}{r}\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r E_{\phi})\right) \hat{\theta}
[/tex]

I want you to work that out yourself, I don't think it works out to the same expression that you got. I underestimated the size of the curl, I anticipated it only depending on one term.. I was wrong =(. For future problems just refer to the expression in the cover of Griffiths if that's the text you're using.

As for 'what to do with the theta or r', you're integrating with respect to time, so they don't even come into the picture, just integrate as if they were constants.

Last edited:

Maxwell's equations are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. They are crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of electromagnetic waves, including spherical electromagnetic waves.

To show that the electric field given in the problem is consistent with Maxwell's equations, we can use the following equations:

1. Gauss's law: ∇⋅E = ρ/ε0

2. Faraday's law: ∇×E = -∂B/∂t

3. Gauss's law for magnetism: ∇⋅B = 0

4. Ampere's law: ∇×B = μ0(J + ε0∂E/∂t)

Using the given electric field equation, we can calculate the gradient, divergence, and curl of E.

∇⋅E = (1/r^2)*(∂/∂θ)(A*sin(θ)*[cos(kr-ωt)-(1/kr)*sin(kr-ωt)])*phi

= (1/r^2)*(A*cos(θ)*[cos(kr-ωt)-(1/kr)*sin(kr-ωt)])*phi

= (A/r^2)*(cos(θ)/kr)*sin(kr-ωt))*phi

= (A/r^2)*sin(θ)*sin(kr-ωt))*phi

= ρ/ε0

This shows that the electric field satisfies Gauss's law.

∇×E = (1/r^2)*(∂/∂r)(r^2*A*sin(θ)*[cos(kr-ωt)-(1/kr)*sin(kr-ωt)])*phi

= (1/r^2)*(2r*A*sin(θ)*[cos(kr-ωt)-(1/kr)*sin(kr-ωt)]-r^2*A*sin(θ)*sin(kr-ωt)*(-k))*phi

= (2A*sin(θ)/r)*(sin(kr-ωt)/ω)*phi

= -∂B/∂t

Therefore, the electric field also satisfies Faraday's law.

∇⋅

Related to Maxwell's Eqns- HELP - Spherical EM wave

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential for understanding and predicting electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What do Maxwell's Equations describe?

Maxwell's Equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their sources, such as charges and currents. They also explain how these fields interact with each other and with matter.

3. How do Maxwell's Equations relate to spherical electromagnetic waves?

Spherical electromagnetic waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that propagates outward in all directions from a point source. Maxwell's Equations explain how these waves are created, how they propagate, and how they interact with the environment.

4. What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are significant because they unify and explain a wide range of electromagnetic phenomena, from the behavior of light to the operation of electronic devices. They also serve as the foundation for many modern technologies, such as wireless communication and electricity generation.

5. How are Maxwell's Equations used in scientific research?

Maxwell's Equations are used in a variety of scientific research fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are applied to understand and predict electromagnetic phenomena and to develop new technologies. Scientists also use them to test and validate theories and to make new discoveries about the nature of the universe.