Maxwell Equations: Radiation requires acceleration?

In summary, experts say that acceleration is important for production of synchrotron light, and that it is perpendicular to the tangent to the moving particle (pointing towards the center or centripetal acceleration). This means that if acceleration is zero, then no synchrotron light is produced.
1Truthseeker
In a lecture on Maxwell's equations, I noticed that for radiation to occur there has to be acceleration. Does this have any relation to specific heat? I have many questions regarding this, actually. If radiative heat is always mediated by photons, and radiation only occurs with acceleration, does that mean that light has infinite acceleration, less it would not be radiating? Forgive any apparent stupidity in the question!

Also, I realize this is from classical physics, but I wanted to relate this directly to QED and understand how they are related, and the same questions apply to QED as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi,
I don't understand about your infinite acceleration!.
But the amount of radiation or amount of light is directly proportional to the radiated power. Also i remember that there is a quantity E/(m0c^2) in that relation which determined the total flux. E - energy, m0 - rest mass and c velocity of light.
Photons are produced from charged particles traveling close to c.
I guess you know this book. Classical electrodynamics by Jackson [sure you will get all information there]

Rajini said:
hi,
I don't understand about your infinite acceleration!.
But the amount of radiation or amount of light is directly proportional to the radiated power. Also i remember that there is a quantity E/(m0c^2) in that relation which determined the total flux. E - energy, m0 - rest mass and c velocity of light.
Photons are produced from charged particles traveling close to c.
I guess you know this book. Classical electrodynamics by Jackson [sure you will get all information there]

Right, and that radiated power is dependent on the acceleration of the charged particle. Thus, my question is, if the charged particle is at zero acceleration, it is no longer radiating, correct?

Now consider a system of those charged particles (an ice cube for example), all at zero acceleration, but not zero velocity. They would no longer be radiating heat (light), is this correct?

What I am saying is, I find it odd that in order for there to be thermal radiation, that charged particles must be in a state of acceleration.

Hi,
Yes acceleration are important for production of synchrotron light..It is perpendicular to the tangent to the moving particle (i mean pointing towards the center or centripetal acceleration). Therefore, if acceleration is zero then no synchrotron light.
If i am correct, experts (who know about Maxwell relations) could give a proper explanation of this fact

Related to Maxwell Equations: Radiation requires acceleration?

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are the basis of classical electromagnetism.

2. How do Maxwell's equations relate to radiation?

Maxwell's equations explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they interact to produce radiation. They show that any changing electric or magnetic field will create an electromagnetic wave, which is a form of radiation.

3. What is meant by "radiation requires acceleration" in Maxwell's equations?

This statement is known as the Lorentz force law and is one of the four equations in Maxwell's equations. It states that a charged particle must experience an acceleration in order to emit radiation. This means that radiation cannot be produced by a stationary charge, but only by one that is accelerating.

4. Why is acceleration necessary for radiation according to Maxwell's equations?

Acceleration is necessary for radiation because it is the changing electric and magnetic fields that create the electromagnetic wave. Without acceleration, there would be no change in the fields, and thus no radiation would be produced.

5. How do Maxwell's equations impact our understanding of radiation?

Maxwell's equations provide a comprehensive explanation of how electromagnetic radiation is produced and how it behaves. They are the foundation for our understanding of electromagnetism and have allowed for the development of technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.