Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory

• Thread starter Maybe_Memorie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the Chern-Simons action is known as gauge-invariant if it is invariant under the transformation Aμ→Aμ+∂μΛ, and any solution to its equations of motion is gauge-equivalent to a trivial solution. The equations of motion for the Maxwell-Chern-Simons action are found to be ∂μFμν+ke^2εναβFαβ=0, and each component of Fμν satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation, which can be written as (∂ν∂ν+(ke^2)^2)Fμ=0 after defining the dual field strength tensor.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

##(a)## Consider the following action in three space-time dimensions
##S_{CS}=\displaystyle \int d^3x\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho##
It is known as the Chern-Simons action.

Demonstrate that it is gauge-invariant.

Show that any solution to the equations of motion for the above action is gauge-equivalent to a trivial solution.

##(b)## Find the equations of motion for the following Maxwell-Chern-Simons action:
##S=-\frac{1}{4e^2}\displaystyle \int d^3x F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} + \displaystyle \int d^3x\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho##

Show that each component of ##F_{\mu\nu}## satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##(a)## The action is gauge invariant if it is invariant under the transformation ##A_\mu \rightarrow A_\mu + \partial_\mu \Lambda##, where ##\Lambda## is a function of the space-time coordinates. Under this transformation, ##S_{CS} \rightarrow S_{CS}' = k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} (A_\mu + \partial_\mu \Lambda) \partial_\nu (A_\rho + \partial_\rho \Lambda)##

##= k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}(A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho + A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_rho \Lambda + \partial_\mu \Lambda\partial_\nu A_\rho + \partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda)##

## =S_{CS} + k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}(A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_rho \Lambda + \partial_\mu \Lambda\partial_\nu A_\rho + \partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda)##

##(*)## Note that ##\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda = - \epsilon^{\mu\rho\nu}A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda## by anti-symmetry of ##\epsilon##
## =- \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu\partial_\rho \partial_\nu \Lambda## after renaming indicies
## = - \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu\partial_\nu \partial_\rho \Lambda## due to the symmetry ##\partial_\nu \partial_\rho=\partial_\rho \partial_\nu##
##=0##.

Same argument holds for the last term in the integrand and we are left with ##S_{CS}'=S_{CS} + k \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}\partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho##

Applying the product rule backwards and using the same argument as above in ##(*)## we find that ## \displaystyle \int d^3x \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}\partial_\mu \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho = \displaystyle \int d^3x \partial_\mu (\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho)##

Applying the divergence theorem this becomes ##\displaystyle \int dS n_\mu \epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho} \Lambda \partial_\nu A_\rho##, where ##n_\mu## is a normal vector pointing outward from the surface, which is a surface integral equal to ##0## under the assumption that the fields fall off sufficiently fast at infinity. Hence the action is gauge-invariant.

The Lagrangian for this action is ##\mathcal{L}_{CS}=\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}A_\mu \partial_\nu A_\rho##. I'm not going to write out the full procedure for getting the equations of motion, but we find that they are
##k\epsilon^{\rho\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}=0##

I am unsure what the phrase "gauge equivalent to a trivial solution" means. I know that the equations of motion are gauge-invariant so nothing will change, but I don't really know what it's asking me to do.##(b)## Again, not going through finding the e.o.m, but we find that they are ##\partial_\mu F^{\mu\nu} + ke^2\epsilon^{\nu\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}=0##

The Klein-Gordon equation is ##(\partial_\mu \partial^\mu + m^2)\phi=0##. I was reading a paper on this theory and it said this can be done by writing ##\tilde{F^\mu}=\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho}F_{\nu\rho}## and then the e.o.m. can be written as ##(\partial^\nu \partial_\nu + (ke^2)^2)\tilde{F^\mu}=0##. I have no idea why this is justified.Any help on the two issues above would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Bump

Bump

Bump, but I'm guessing there's no point. This is the last time I'll do it.

Related to Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory

What is Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory?

Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that combines Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism with the Chern-Simons term, a topological term that describes the dynamics of gauge fields. It is used to study the behavior of certain physical systems, such as quantum Hall systems.

What is the significance of the Chern-Simons term in Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory?

The Chern-Simons term is a topological term that describes the dynamics of gauge fields, which are fundamental to understanding the behavior of particles. In Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory, the Chern-Simons term plays a crucial role in describing the topological properties of the system and can lead to interesting phenomena, such as the fractional quantum Hall effect.

How does Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory differ from traditional Maxwell's equations?

In traditional Maxwell's equations, the gauge fields are assumed to be abelian, meaning they commute with each other. However, in Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory, the gauge fields are non-abelian, meaning they do not commute. This leads to different physical behaviors and can explain phenomena that cannot be described by traditional Maxwell's equations.

What are some applications of Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory?

Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory has been applied to study a variety of physical systems, including quantum Hall systems, high-temperature superconductors, and topological insulators. It has also been used in string theory and cosmology to study the behavior of gauge fields in the early universe.

What are the current challenges in understanding Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory?

One of the main challenges in understanding Maxwell-Chern-Simons Theory is its non-perturbative nature, meaning that traditional methods of analysis are not always applicable. Additionally, there is still much to be explored in terms of the role of the Chern-Simons term in various physical systems and its implications for fundamental physics.