Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to find a solution for a Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral for their electronics class. They have looked it up on Google and tried using WolframAlpha, but they are unable to find the solution. They are considering using the attachment provided by their professor, which suggests using partial integration to manipulate the integral into the form of Eq. 38 on page 10, which should evaluate to a gamma function.
Yakadellic
Hey guys, I have this homework to do, but I can't find a solution.
I need to solve this integral. It's Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics, we are studying it in class of electronics. So, integral goes like this:
∫from Ws to ∞ [(W-Ws)(1/2)*e(WF-W)/kT]dW

I have looked it up on google, but I couldn't find the solution..
And, WF,Ws,k and T are constants...
I'll be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try wolfram alpha but for the definite integral they'll charge you & the indefinite integral isn't of much help I don't think ...

Look at this attachment:
http://hep.ph.liv.ac.uk/~hock/Teaching/StatisticalPhysics-Part3-Handout.pdf

Check out Eq. 38 on page 10.

I think with some manipulation, you can get your integral into the form of Eq. 38 which should evaluate to a gamma function of some sort.

rude man said:
You can try wolfram alpha but for the definite integral they'll charge you & the indefinite integral isn't of much help I don't think ...
I tried using WolframAlpha, it gives me some result, and it's the right result, but I need the procedure..

SteamKing said:
Look at this attachment:
http://hep.ph.liv.ac.uk/~hock/Teachi...t3-Handout.pdf

Check out Eq. 38 on page 10.

I think with some manipulation, you can get your integral into the form of Eq. 38 which should evaluate to a gamma function of some sort.
I don't know about that, man.. Professor gave us a "hint", he told us we need to use partial integration method.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand your frustration and the importance of finding solutions to problems. The Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral is a fundamental equation used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is commonly used in the study of electronics and other fields such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

Unfortunately, there is no single solution to this integral as it depends on the specific values of WF, Ws, k, and T. However, there are various methods and techniques that can be used to approximate or solve this integral, such as numerical integration or using specific mathematical functions.

I recommend consulting with your instructor or classmates for help in solving this integral. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks that provide step-by-step solutions to similar integrals. Keep in mind that understanding the concept and theory behind the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral is just as important as finding the solution.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and hope you are able to find a satisfactory solution to your homework problem. Remember, as a scientist, perseverance and determination are key qualities in solving complex problems. Keep up the good work!

Related to Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral is a mathematical expression that describes the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas at a specific temperature. It is used to determine the average speed of particles in a gas and the probability of a particle having a certain velocity.

2. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral derived?

The integral is derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds for particles in a gas. It takes into account the mass of the particles, the temperature, and the gas constant to calculate the probability of particles having a certain speed.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral?

The integral is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a gas and make predictions about their speeds and energies. It is also used in many applications, such as in thermodynamics and kinetic theory, to analyze the behavior of gases.

4. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral used in real-world situations?

The integral is used in many real-world situations, such as in the design of propulsion systems for spacecraft, in the production of semiconductor devices, and in the study of gas mixtures. It is also used in the analysis of gases in atmospheric and environmental studies.

5. Are there any limitations to the Maxwell-Boltzmann Statistics integral?

Yes, the integral assumes that the particles in a gas are non-interacting and have a continuous range of speeds. This may not be the case in all situations, such as in highly dense or complex gas systems. Additionally, the integral does not account for quantum effects, which may be important at very low temperatures.