Maximum speed of an object after a spring

In summary, a 534 g mass connected to a light spring of force constant 6 N/m is released from rest after being displaced 2 cm from the equilibrium point on a frictionless track. The period is found to be 1.87 seconds. The conversation then discusses finding the maximum speed and acceleration of the mass, with the question of whether the formula for energy stored in a spring is relevant. The final calculation for the maximum speed is .037 m/s, but it is deemed too low and further work is requested.
liamtcarroll
A 534 g mass is connected to a light spring of
force constant 6 N/m that is free to oscillate
on a horizontal, frictionless track. The mass
is displaced 2 cm from the equilibrium point
and released from rest.

What is the maximum speed of the mass?

What is the maximum acceleration of the mass?

I found the period to be 1.87

Now I don't know what formula to use for the maximum speed, or to find the maximum acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for the energy stored in a spring? What will the stored energy be when the mass is at max speed?

is it Hooke's law?

wait is it PE=(1/2)(k)(x²)?

i got .037 m/s for my speed, does that sound right?

liamtcarroll said:
i got .037 m/s for my speed, does that sound right?
Sounds too low. Pls post your working.

Related to Maximum speed of an object after a spring

What factors affect the maximum speed of an object after a spring?

The maximum speed of an object after a spring is affected by the spring constant, the mass of the object, and the amplitude of the spring's oscillations.

How does the spring constant affect the maximum speed of an object?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, directly affects the maximum speed of an object after a spring. A higher spring constant will result in a higher maximum speed, while a lower spring constant will result in a lower maximum speed.

What is the relationship between the mass of the object and the maximum speed after a spring?

The mass of the object has an inverse relationship with the maximum speed after a spring. This means that a heavier object will have a lower maximum speed, while a lighter object will have a higher maximum speed.

How does the amplitude of the spring's oscillations affect the maximum speed of an object?

The amplitude of the spring's oscillations, which is the maximum displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, directly affects the maximum speed of an object after a spring. A larger amplitude will result in a higher maximum speed, while a smaller amplitude will result in a lower maximum speed.

What is the formula for calculating the maximum speed of an object after a spring?

The maximum speed of an object after a spring can be calculated using the equation v = √(k/m) * A, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, and A is the amplitude of the spring's oscillations.