Maximum Speed of a Mass on a Spring with Given Mass and Spring Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum speed of a 300 g mass attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 45N/m. The solution involves using the equations F_spring=kx and F=ma, and combining them to find the acceleration and then using the formula Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad to calculate the maximum speed, which is determined to be 1.4 m/s.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

a 300 g mass vibrates at the end of a horizontal spring along a frictionless surface. if the spring constant is 45N/m, and the maximum displacement of the mass is 8.0cm, what is the maximum speed of the mass?

Homework Equations

g=Gm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

do i rearrange the formula to solve for m. so it becomes m=r^2(g)/G. that only gives me the mass tho. how do i solve for the speed??

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even know what you're doin.

Find the acceleration with F_spring=kx and F=ma.

When is the spring traveling the fastest? You should use (or combine) 3 equations to get your answer. I gave you 2.

ok so,
Fspring= 45N/m(0.08m) whick is 3.6N. then arrange f=ma to solve for a, which is a=3.6N/0.3Kg, so the a is 12. then do i use the formula Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad. so,i would square root (2)(12)(0.08) to get 1.4 m/s as the maximum speed?

if "maximum displacement" means the distance from where the spring is uncompressed, to it's maximum compression.. then yes that's right.

Thank you so much :)

Related to Maximum Speed of a Mass on a Spring with Given Mass and Spring Constant

1. What is the relationship between the mass of an object and the speed of a spring?

The relationship between mass and speed of a spring is an inverse one. This means that as the mass of an object attached to a spring increases, the speed of the spring decreases.

2. How does the spring constant affect the speed of an object attached to a spring?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, directly affects the speed of an object attached to the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a faster speed, while a lower spring constant will result in a slower speed.

3. Can the speed of an object attached to a spring exceed the speed of light?

No, the speed of an object attached to a spring cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, no object can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. How does the length of a spring affect the speed of an object attached to it?

The length of a spring does not directly affect the speed of an object attached to it. However, a longer spring may have a lower spring constant, which can result in a slower speed of the object.

5. Is there a limit to how much mass can be attached to a spring while still maintaining a certain speed?

Yes, there is a limit to how much mass can be attached to a spring while still maintaining a certain speed. This limit is determined by the spring constant and the initial force applied to the spring. If the mass exceeds this limit, the speed of the spring will decrease.