Maximum Source Resistance for Optimal ADC Performance

In summary, the maximum value of the noisy source resistance Rn for a particular 18-bit ADC with a 10 V input voltage range and 1 MHz bandwidth, operating at 25 degrees C, to avoid adversely affecting the resolution due to thermal noise is 88.4 kOhms. This is calculated using the formula Rn = (Vn^2 / 4kTB), where Vn is the noise voltage, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the absolute temperature, and B is the bandwidth.
MrBondx

Homework Statement

A simplified model of ADC noise refers the noise to a noisy source resistance Rn while assuming the rest of the signal path to be noiseless. Figure 3 represents a particular 18-bit ADC that has a 10 V input voltage range. The ADC has a bandwidth of 1 MHz.

Calculate the maximum value of Rn if the resolution of the ADC is not to be adversely affected by thermal noise. Assume the ADC operates at 25 degrees C.

[N.b. The voltage resolution of an ADC is equal to its overall voltage measurement range divided by the number of discrete values possible on its output.]
ADC.png
FIG. 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The issue of resolution has totally thrown me off but here is what I'm thinking.

Rn = (Vn \ 4kTRB), where k is the Boltzmann constant.

Vn = ? I'm not sure whether Vn = resolution or full scale voltage.

It's all I got for now, please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes emdezla
Physics news on Phys.org
MrBondx said:
Rn = (Vn \ 4kTRB)

That equation does not look correct. What is the equation for the thermal noise voltage in terms of of k and T and R and B?

Likes emdezla
berkeman said:
That equation does not look correct. What is the equation for the thermal noise voltage in terms of of k and T and R and B?

Thanks, Yea my mistake

Vn = sqrt(4kTBR)

Re-arranging

R = (Vn^2 / 4kTB)

Likes emdezla
MrBondx said:
Thanks, Yea my mistake

Vn = sqrt(4kTBR)

Re-arranging

R = (Vn^2 / 4kTB)

Ah, much better. I was getting vertigo trying to decipher what you wrote. :smile:

So now you're pretty much done. Take the input voltage range and divide by the total resolution (18 bits is how many steps?). Then apply the formula...

Likes emdezla
Oh, and remember that T is absolute temperature...

:smile:
Input voltage resolution

18bits = 2^18 steps = 262144

Voltage range / steps = (10 / 262144)

Vn = 38.14697 x 10^-6 V

Is that correct?

Likes emdezla
MrBondx said:
:smile:
Input voltage resolution

18bits = 2^18 steps = 262144

Voltage range / steps = (10 / 262144)

Vn = 38.14697 x 10^-6 V

Is that correct?

Yes, I get 38.15uV as well. So what is the equivalent resistance to make that noise voltage at (absolute) room temperature?

Likes emdezla
Converting Celsius to Kelvin

25degrees = 298.15 K

Plugging numbers into equation

Rn = (38.15 x 10^-6)^2 / (4 x (1.38 x 10^-23) x 298.15 x 1000000)

= 88433.17

Rn = 88.4 kOhms

MrBondx said:
Converting Celsius to Kelvin

25degrees = 298.15 K

Plugging numbers into equation

Rn = (38.15 x 10^-6)^2 / (4 x (1.38 x 10^-23) x 298.15 x 1000000)

= 88433.17

Rn = 88.4 kOhms

Looks like a reasonable value. Do you know if it's correct?

I hope it is correct, will send it for marking. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Related to Maximum Source Resistance for Optimal ADC Performance

1. What is ADC input referred noise?

ADC input referred noise refers to the amount of noise that is present in the input signal of an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that is caused by external sources such as electromagnetic interference, thermal noise, and quantization noise. It is measured in terms of root mean square (RMS) voltage and is typically specified by the manufacturer.

2. How does ADC input referred noise affect the accuracy of measurements?

ADC input referred noise can affect the accuracy of measurements by introducing additional noise into the signal, which can result in errors in the conversion process. This noise can also limit the dynamic range of the ADC, making it difficult to distinguish small signals from noise.

3. What factors can contribute to ADC input referred noise?

There are several factors that can contribute to ADC input referred noise, including external sources such as power supply noise, ground loops, and electromagnetic interference. Additionally, the internal design and components of the ADC, such as the converter resolution and sampling rate, can also impact the level of noise present in the input signal.

4. How can the effects of ADC input referred noise be minimized?

The effects of ADC input referred noise can be minimized by using proper shielding and grounding techniques, as well as carefully selecting the components and layout of the circuit. Additionally, using a higher resolution ADC and oversampling techniques can help reduce the impact of noise on the accuracy of measurements.

5. Is there a limit to how much ADC input referred noise can be reduced?

Yes, there is a limit to how much ADC input referred noise can be reduced. This is due to the inherent noise sources in electronic circuits and the trade-off between noise reduction and signal bandwidth. Additionally, the noise level of the input signal itself can also play a role in the amount of noise that can be reduced by the ADC.