Maximum shear strain direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum shear strain and the angle between the maximum shear plane and the principal plane. The solution states that the angle is always 45 degrees and the use of Mohr's circle is not necessary. The question may have been asking for the angle between the maximum shear strain and the principal plane angle, which is always 45 degrees.
temaire

Homework Statement

14714206e9ccb8064cc7579fbf9cfc640441a831.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\gamma_{max} = {\left|{\epsilon_1} - {\epsilon_2} \right|}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the maximum shear strain to be [itex]200 \mu[/itex].

For the angle, I don't know exactly how to go about finding it. However, the solution says that the angle is [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex]. Does this mean that all they were asking was to state the angle between the maximum shear plane and the principal plane, which is always [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex]? Or am I supposed to solve for the maximum shear plane angle by first finding the principal plane angle and subtracting [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex] from it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get chummy with your buddy the Mohr stress/strain circle... although just looking at the question you could solve it purely from math. I assume you have a solid mechanics or mechanics of materials textbook you could easily find it in there.

CJSGrailKnigh said:
You need to get chummy with your buddy the Mohr stress/strain circle... although just looking at the question you could solve it purely from math. I assume you have a solid mechanics or mechanics of materials textbook you could easily find it in there.

Our professor explicitly told us not to use Mohr's circle for this question.

I have tried looking through my mechanics of materials textbook, but couldn't find a way of solving for the direction angle of the maximum shear strain, just with having the principal strains and the maximum shear strain.

I want to know whether the question was supposed to ask you to state the angle between the maximum shear strain and the angle and the principal plane angle. I know this sounds trivial, but the answer to this problem does say [itex]45^{\circ}[/itex].

temaire: I currently think you worked the problem correctly. I currently think all they were asking for was to state the angle between the maximum shear plane and principal planes, which is always 45 deg.

nvn said:
temaire: I currently think you worked the problem correctly. I currently think all they were asking for was to state the angle between the maximum shear plane and principal planes, which is always 45 deg.

Thank you nvn. That's what I was thinking as well.

Always 45 deg. You're right.

Related to Maximum shear strain direction

1. What is maximum shear strain direction?

Maximum shear strain direction refers to the direction in which a material experiences the greatest amount of deformation due to shear stress. This direction is perpendicular to the normal stress direction and is characterized by a 45-degree angle from the principal stress directions.

2. How is maximum shear strain direction calculated?

The maximum shear strain direction can be calculated using the Mohr's circle method, where the angle of rotation of the circle represents the direction of maximum shear strain. It can also be determined using mathematical equations that involve the principal stresses and the angle of rotation.

3. Why is it important to know the maximum shear strain direction?

Knowing the maximum shear strain direction is crucial in designing structures and materials to withstand loads and stresses. It helps engineers and scientists understand how a material will behave under different forces and allows them to optimize its properties for maximum strength and durability.

4. How does the maximum shear strain direction affect material properties?

The maximum shear strain direction has a significant impact on the deformation and failure of a material. Materials with a higher shear strain direction will experience more shear stress and are more prone to shearing and tearing. This direction also affects the ductility, stiffness, and toughness of a material.

5. Can the maximum shear strain direction change?

Yes, the maximum shear strain direction can change depending on the applied load and the material's properties. For example, if a material is subjected to tensile stress, the maximum shear strain direction will rotate towards the direction of the tensile stress. It can also change due to material anisotropy or geometric changes in the structure.