Maximum power with transformers

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum power that can be transferred to a load ZL through a dipole design. The solution involves using the formula for Pmax and obtaining the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit from ZL. In Figure 1, the transform is perfect (k=1) and the maximum value for the current source is 1. In Figure 2, the transform is not perfect (k<1) and the maximum value for the current source needs to be greater than 1 in order to achieve the same voltage across ZL.
Bromio

Homework Statement

In Figure 1, the transform is perfect (k = 1). Calculate the maximum power which can be transferred to the load ZL. Design a dipole which that power can be transferred to.

Homework Equations

k = 1 --> n = sqrt(L1/L2).

Pmax = |V(rms)|/(4*Rg)

The result must be Pmax = 0.368 W approximately.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've eliminated the transform dividing current source maximum value (I = 1) by n = 0.5 and each impedance by n^2 = 0.5^2. Then, I've obtained the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit from ZL. Eventually, I've used the formula for Pmax. I've got Pmax = 0.380 W. OK.

However, the problem solution offers another way to solve it, which is shown in Figure 2. In this case, the maximum value for current source is 2, and, the elimination of the transform is done after getting the Thevenin equivalent circuit. I don't understand why the maximum value is 2. Why?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Figure 1.png
    Figure 1.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 398
  • Figure 2.png
    Figure 2.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some good progress in solving this problem. I can offer some insight into why the maximum value for the current source is 2 in Figure 2.

In Figure 1, the transform is perfect (k=1) which means that the ratio of inductances L1 and L2 is equal to 1. This also means that the ratio of voltages across L1 and L2 is equal to 1. Therefore, the maximum value for the current source in Figure 1 is 1.

In Figure 2, the transform is not perfect (k<1) which means that the ratio of inductances L1 and L2 is less than 1. This also means that the ratio of voltages across L1 and L2 is less than 1. Therefore, the maximum value for the current source in Figure 2 needs to be greater than 1 in order to achieve the same voltage across the load ZL as in Figure 1.

I hope this explanation helps. Keep up the good work in solving the problem!

Related to Maximum power with transformers

1. What is the maximum power that can be achieved with transformers?

The maximum power that can be achieved with transformers depends on various factors such as the design, construction, and materials used in the transformer, as well as the input voltage and current. Generally, transformers are designed to handle a certain amount of power, and exceeding this limit can cause damage to the transformer.

2. How do transformers increase power?

Transformers work on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field induces a voltage in a conductor. Through this process, the input power is transformed into a higher or lower voltage depending on the design of the transformer. This transformation of voltage results in a change in power, which can be increased or decreased.

3. Can transformers provide unlimited power?

No, transformers cannot provide unlimited power. As mentioned earlier, transformers are designed to handle a certain amount of power and exceeding this limit can cause damage to the transformer. Additionally, power losses occur during the transformation process which also limits the amount of power that can be achieved.

4. What is the difference between maximum power and rated power in transformers?

The maximum power of a transformer refers to the maximum amount of power that can be safely handled without causing damage. On the other hand, the rated power of a transformer is the maximum amount of power that can be continuously supplied without overheating the transformer. The rated power is typically lower than the maximum power to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the transformer.

5. Can the maximum power of a transformer be increased?

The maximum power of a transformer cannot be increased beyond its design limits. However, multiple transformers can be connected in parallel to increase the overall power capacity. Additionally, using higher quality materials and improved designs can also increase the maximum power capacity of transformers.