Maximum Power Point Tracking for Solar Cell

In summary, the seller provided two solar cells which have been connected in parallel to increase the current provided to the system. The seller asks if the cells can be used to charge a 3.7V battery. Each Solar Cell specifications provided by the seller are: each one is a 5V, 2.5W power, 500mah Mini Encapsulated Solar Cell Epoxy, size is 130×150mm, and conversion rate of 17%. The seller asks if the cells can be used to charge a 3.7V battery if there is enough light and make sure the battery does not get overcharged.
Nabeel
have two solar cells which I have connected in Parallel to increase the current provided to the system. I want to calculate the maximum Power point tracking for my solar cells. There was no information provided by the seller except the one below.

I have attached the open circuit reading of the cells under a lamp. If you can assist me in this regard it will be very much appreciated.

Also, if these cells can be used to charge a 3.7V battery?

Each Solar Cell specifications provided by the seller are:
Each one is a 5V
2.5W Power
500mah Mini Encapsulated Solar Cell Epoxy
Size is 130×150mm
92g each
Conversion rate of 17%

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no attachment.
If you have enough light and make sure the battery does not get overcharged, probably.

What do you mean with "calculate [...] tracking"? Do you want to calculate something, or track something?

Nabeel said:
have two solar cells which I have connected in Parallel to increase the current provided to the system. I want to calculate the maximum Power point tracking for my solar cells. There was no information provided by the seller except the one below.

I have attached the open circuit reading of the cells under a lamp. If you can assist me in this regard it will be very much appreciated.

Each Solar Cell specifications provided by the seller are:
Each one is a 5V
2.5W Power
500mah Mini Encapsulated Solar Cell Epoxy
Size is 130×150mm
92g each
Conversion rate of 17%

You can consider determining the MPP experimentally for various insolation rates. You will need to be able to vary the load resistance and measure the output voltage and current. Graph about 10 points for each level of sun intensity (you can use several semi-opaque sheets to simulate lower insolation conditions, or just wait for less-bright days or times of day). From the graphs you can calculate the MPP for each insolation condition, and decide where you want your DC-DC converter circuit to set its input conditions.

BTW, keep in mind that your battery charger circuit must be intelligent -- it cannot blindly charge the battery or it will over-charge it. Maybe do some reading about optimum battery charger circuits for the type of battery that you want to charge.

I would suggest that you look into creating a system that determines the MPP dynamically at run time. I say this because many variables factor into the point that change your cells output characteristics, dirt on the glass, outside temp, angle, haze, etc. Since you want to charge 3.7 volt cell (I will put myself at risk at assume Li-xx), and this really needs some intelligence as was suggested above, use a microcontroller to both charge and determine the MPP at the same time. This will involve using the A/D to measure voltage and current and manipulating the load to move the point to the max output while charging. I believe it might take a little more work, but the end result will be a much more capable system.

Good suggestion! :smile:

The maximum power point is really only useful if you have a switching converter and can move the load point.

With a linear controller you may operate the cells in a short circuit mode for maximum current.

Use the +5V solar cells in parallel, to supply a 3.7V low drop out linear regulator, which will prevent overcharging of the cell.

Baluncore said:
The maximum power point is really only useful if you have a switching converter and can move the load point.

With a linear controller you may operate the cells in a short circuit mode for maximum current.

Use the +5V solar cells in parallel, to supply a 3.7V low drop out linear regulator, which will prevent overcharging of the cell.

Interesting. When the OP asked about the MPP, I assumed he was asking about DC-DC converters. It never occurred to me that he might be thinking about a linear regulator. But based on the nature of his question (Nabeel seems new to electronics), you might be right...

I do have non-inverting buck/boost converter to which I will input the voltage from the solar cells(connected in parallel). I will buck down the voltage to 3.7V and if the voltage at the input falls below 3.7V the converter will boost the voltage to 3.7V. I just needed to find a way so that I can input maximum power from the solar cells into the converter so that I can achieve maximum current.

Let me first state that these next few words are my opinion on a design philosophy to maximize power from a solar cell.

The design request is to operate a solar cell using MPP to charge a battery pack. I view this a an advanced circuit. The reason I state this is that in order to actually maximize the power output using a switcher, you will need to operate with two (or more) inductors and two (or more) switches so ALL the solar power is used. A "buck" switcher does not pull energy from the source when the switch is off. So to actually maximize energy use and keep the voltage output constant, you need to grab the energy available while one switch is off with another inductor and switch on. (Actually you might need more than 2, but two should achieve a high efficiency transfer.) Using a microcontroller to keep track of the switching and charging will allow this, but you will need to watch the coding to move the switching times (to find MPP) and operate more than one switch AND monitor charge at the same time. You could use more than one micro, but honestly one should be enough, you will just need to write good code that has bounded latency for interrupt servicing and carefully monitor the voltage and current to achieve the MPP point on the power curve of the SYSTEM (this point will change dynamically as the pack gets charged). So again I will say that while this is possible and will be great fun and learning experience for the OP, it is by no means trivial in my opinion.

As mjhilger suggests, with a switching regulator, it will be necessary to use a capacitor in parallel with the cell and regulator input. An inductor between the cell and capacitor could reduce ripple further but only if the inductor had a very low series resistance.

The problem presented in this thread is not typical since the cell voltage is close to the regulated output voltage. It is my opinion that in this special case an MPP sensor and a switcher are unnecessary.

I will try to explain why a boost/buck converter with MPP tracking is not needed. Under low light conditions, when the MPP and open cell voltage are below about 4V, there will be insufficient power from the cells to run a switching converter. A 5V solar cell in good light should always have MPP above 3.7V. That more or less eliminates any need for a voltage boost component. A linear regulator is low cost, simple and EM quiet. In this case the minimum efficiency of a low-dropout-voltage linear-regulator will be 3.7/5.0 = 74%. Under lower light conditions, (for a 100 mV drop-out), efficiency will approach 3.7/(3.7 + 0.1) = 97%. For relatively high input voltages, a 3.7V output switching regulator, (using an idler diode with a 1V forward voltage drop), will be about 3.7/(3.7+1.0) = 79%. This is not much better than a linear regulator with low voltage input.

But for a 5V input, with 3.7V output, a buck converter employing an idler diode will have a switched-on duty cycle of 3.7 / 5.0 = 0.74, 0.26 idle. That gives an overall efficiency near 79%*0.26 + 95%*0.74 = 91%.
By replacing the output idler diode with a mosfet as a synchronous rectifier, the efficiency of a switching buck converter will be closer to 95%.

If by wiring the two cells in series, rather than in parallel, the regulator input voltage was increased to 10 volts, then the game would change. A linear regulator could no longer be considered, a buck switching converter, (possibly with MPP optimisation), would then be necessary to maintain efficiency. With a 3.7V output, a switching regulator should employ a synchronous rectifier as the idler diode to maximise efficiency.

Related to Maximum Power Point Tracking for Solar Cell

1. What is Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) for solar cells?

Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) is a technique used to optimize the output of a solar cell by continuously tracking and adjusting the operating voltage and current to maximize the power output. This is important because the power output of a solar cell is highly dependent on the environmental conditions, such as sunlight intensity and temperature, and can vary significantly throughout the day.

2. How does MPPT work?

MPPT works by continuously monitoring the voltage and current of the solar cell and adjusting the operating point to find the maximum power point. This is typically done using a specialized electronic circuit or controller that can vary the voltage and current to find the optimal combination that maximizes power output.

3. What are the benefits of using MPPT for solar cells?

The main benefit of using MPPT for solar cells is that it can significantly increase the efficiency of the solar cell, leading to higher power output. This is especially important in situations where the solar cell is not operating under ideal conditions, such as when it is partially shaded or the temperature is not optimal. MPPT can also help prolong the lifespan of the solar cell by preventing it from operating at high voltages, which can cause damage over time.

4. Are there different types of MPPT techniques?

Yes, there are different types of MPPT techniques, such as perturb and observe (P&O), incremental conductance, and constant voltage. Each technique has its own advantages and drawbacks, and the most suitable one may vary depending on the specific application and conditions.

5. Can MPPT be used for all types of solar cells?

Yes, MPPT can be used for most types of solar cells, including crystalline silicon, thin-film, and organic solar cells. However, the specific MPPT technique used may vary depending on the characteristics of the solar cell, such as its voltage-current curve and temperature coefficient.