Maximum power of circuit with dependent voltage source

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of R(th) in a circuit using Kirchoff's voltage law and the equations of loops. The attempt at a solution involves redrawing the circuit and calculating the values for I(sc) and V(oc). However, there is a discrepancy of 1 kOhm from the expected answer. The problem with the working is unclear.
iharuyuki

Homework Statement

upload_2015-4-16_7-58-20.png

Homework Equations

V(oc) = I(sc) * R(th)
Kirchoff's voltage law

The Attempt at a Solution

a) is okay. For part b):

After redrawing with the R(th) and V(th) found in part a):

Equations of loops:
s is I(sc)
a is I(left loop)

left loop:
-8 + a(4000) + (a-s)(4000) = 0

right loop:
(s-a)(4000) - (2000)x = 0

I(x):
a-s = x

I(sc) comes out to 0.2 mA
Then V(oc) = I(sc) R(th)
4 V = (0.002 A) R(th)
R(th) = 2 kOhm = R(L max)

However, this is 1 kOhm off from the answer.

What is the problem with the above working?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-16_7-50-47.png
    upload_2015-4-16_7-50-47.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
All is good, thanks!

Likes berkeman

Related to Maximum power of circuit with dependent voltage source

1. What is a dependent voltage source in a circuit?

A dependent voltage source is an element in an electric circuit that is controlled by another element within the same circuit. It can be either a voltage or current source, and its output is determined by the behavior of the controlling element.

2. How is the maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source determined?

The maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source is determined by finding the value of the load resistance that results in the highest power dissipation. This value can be calculated using the maximum power transfer theorem, which states that the maximum power is delivered to the load when the load resistance is equal to the source resistance.

3. What factors affect the maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source?

The maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source can be affected by various factors such as the value of the controlling element, the load resistance, and the source resistance. The type and characteristics of the dependent source can also impact the maximum power output.

4. How does the maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source compare to a circuit with an independent voltage source?

The maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source is typically lower than that of a circuit with an independent voltage source. This is because the dependent source is controlled by another element, and its output is limited by the behavior of that element. In contrast, an independent source can provide a constant voltage regardless of the circuit's conditions.

5. Can the maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source be increased?

Yes, the maximum power of a circuit with a dependent voltage source can be increased by adjusting the values of the controlling element, load resistance, and source resistance. It is also possible to use multiple dependent sources in a circuit to increase the overall maximum power output.