Maximum photocurrent ejected by electrons in photoelectric effect

In summary, the maximum photocurrent produced by ejected electrons in a photoelectric effect experiment can be determined by dividing the power of the incident beam by the energy of a single photon and then multiplying that answer by the charge of an electron. In this case, with a power of 28.0mW and energy of 3.06eV, the resulting photocurrent is 9.1mA. The other given parameters such as frequency, stopping potential, wavelength, maximum speed of ejected electrons, and work function can also be used to calculate various aspects of the experiment, but there is no single formula for determining the photocurrent.
Mola
Does anyone know how to determine the maximum photocurrent that could be produced by ejected electrons in a photoelectric effect experiment_(as unpolarized beam of light incidents on a metal surface)?
I don't know of any formula that calculates the photocurrent and I could not derive any. I was given Power as 28.0mW; frequency of the beam is 7.4* 10^14Hz; and stopping potential Vs as 1.45V.
- I calculated the wavelength of the beam of light as 405nm.(c/f);
- Energy in the photon as 3.06eV. (hf)
-Max speed of the electrons ejected as 7.1*10^5m/s. [sqrt(2K.E_max/mass)]
-Work function as 1.61eV. (E_photon - KE_max)

But I am not able to figure out a formula for determining the photocurrent.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found the magic formula from someone. It's power divided by the Energy of the photon, and then multiplying that answer by e(charge of an electron). I ended up getting 9.1mA.

I can provide some insight into your question. The maximum photocurrent produced by electrons in a photoelectric effect experiment is dependent on several factors, including the intensity of the incident light, the frequency of the light, and the properties of the metal surface. The formula for calculating the photocurrent is given by:

I = (q*A*f*NE)/h

Where I is the photocurrent, q is the charge of an electron, A is the area of the metal surface, f is the frequency of the incident light, NE is the number of electrons ejected per unit time, and h is Planck's constant.

In your case, you have the power of the incident light, frequency, and stopping potential, but you also need to know the area of the metal surface and the number of electrons ejected per unit time. These values can be determined experimentally by measuring the photocurrent at different intensities of the incident light.

Furthermore, the work function of the metal surface also plays a crucial role in determining the maximum photocurrent. This is because the work function represents the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to be ejected from the metal surface. If the energy of the incident photon is less than the work function, no electrons will be ejected, and therefore no photocurrent will be produced.

In summary, to determine the maximum photocurrent produced by ejected electrons in a photoelectric effect experiment, you need to consider the intensity and frequency of the incident light, the properties of the metal surface, and the experimental setup. It is not possible to provide a single formula that can accurately predict the photocurrent without knowing all these factors.

Related to Maximum photocurrent ejected by electrons in photoelectric effect

1. What is the maximum photocurrent ejected by electrons in the photoelectric effect?

The maximum photocurrent ejected by electrons in the photoelectric effect is dependent on the intensity of the incident light and the material's work function. It can range from a few electrons per second to millions of electrons per second.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the maximum photocurrent ejected?

The intensity of light directly affects the number of photons incident on the material's surface, which in turn determines the number of electrons that can be ejected. Higher intensity light leads to a higher maximum photocurrent.

3. What is the relationship between the work function and the maximum photocurrent ejected?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy required to free an electron from its surface. The maximum photocurrent ejected is directly proportional to the work function - a higher work function means a lower maximum photocurrent.

4. Can the maximum photocurrent be increased by changing the material of the surface?

Yes, the maximum photocurrent can be increased by using a material with a lower work function. This means that the electrons will require less energy to be ejected, resulting in a higher maximum photocurrent.

5. Does the maximum photocurrent depend on the frequency of the incident light?

Yes, the maximum photocurrent is affected by the frequency of the incident light. Higher frequency light (i.e. shorter wavelength) has more energy per photon, so it can cause more electrons to be ejected, resulting in a higher maximum photocurrent.