Maximum perpendicular height above an inclined plane

In summary, the equation gives the maximum height of a projectile fired at an angle θ with the horizontal. The equation states that the maximum height is H=(usinθ)2/2g.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A particle is projected from a point o with initial velocity u up a plane inclined at an angle 60° to the horizontal. The direction of projection makes an angle ∅ with the horizontal. The maximum perpendicular height is H.

prove that H = u^2( sin^2(∅) ) / g

Homework Equations

v = u + at

s = ut + .5(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

the horizontal axis ( i axis ) is the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane. The j axis is perpendicular to the i axis.

splitting the u vector into horizontal and vertical components along the i and j axis'.

i axis..... ucos( ∅ - 60 )

j axis.....usin( ∅ - 60)

force of gravity split into component vectors along and perpendicular to the inclined plane

i axis = gsin(60) = √3/2

j axis = (1/2)g

the object will have reached its maximum perpendicular height when its vertical velocity(Vy) is 0

Vy = usin(∅ - 60) - (1/2)gt = 0

t = 2u( sin( ∅ - 60 ) )/g

The maximum perpendicular height Sy = H

Sy = ut + (1/2)at^2

Sy = usin(∅-60)(2u)(sin(∅-60)/g -(1/2)(1/2)g(4u^2)( sin^2(∅-60)/g^2 )

simplify

Sy = u^2( sin^2( ∅ - 60 ) ) /g

when I simplify using

sin(A-B)=sin A cos B - cos A sin B

It just makes the equation more awkward

I think I was right using ∅ - 60 since both angles are taken from the horizontal so you have to subtract to get the angle between the objects line of projection and the plane.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:

Homework Statement

A particle is projected from a point o with initial velocity u up a plane inclined at an angle 60° to the horizontal. The direction of projection makes an angle ∅ with the horizontal. The maximum perpendicular height is H.

prove that H = u^2( sin^2(∅) ) / g

I worry that there is an H value that results if ∅ = 30o, but it is not possible to project the particle up a 60o incline if you project it at 30o to the horizontal ?

Perhaps the condition ∅ > 60o is implied.

The expression H = u^2( sin^2(∅) ) / g is merely the maximum height reached by any projectile fired at an angle ∅ with the horizontal.

Can someone explain the problem here?

PeterO said:
I worry that there is an H value that results if ∅ = 30o, but it is not possible to project the particle up a 60o incline if you project it at 30o to the horizontal ?
That doesn't bother me. The equation merely gives a parabolic trajectory which includes the point of origin of the particle. The slope must either be a tangent to the trajectory or cut it in two places, with a finite section of the trajectory above the slope.
The given result is clearly wrong, though. If the particle is fired parallel to the slope then H must be 0. Woolyabyss' answer, u2 sin2(∅-60)/g, is much more reasonable. Maybe the question should have said it makes an angle ∅ with the plane.

I'm not sure then, I think I'll just leave this question and move on.

Last edited:
You can throw that particle from the slope at an angle θ>60° to the horizontal. The maximum height it reaches depends on the vertical component of its velocity , independent of the slope. H=(usinθ)2/2g.

ehild

ehild said:
You can throw that particle from the slope at an angle θ>60° to the horizontal. The maximum height it reaches depends on the vertical component of its velocity , independent of the slope. H=(usinθ)2/2g.

ehild

Yes, but it's asking for the "perpendicular height", which Woolyabyss and I interpret as the max distance from the plane.

Maybe it should have written that θ is the angle with respect to the slope. Choosing y perpendicular to the slope, y=usin(θ)t-gcos(60) t2/2. As cos60=1/2, y=usin(θ)t-g t2/4. Its maximum is H=u2sin2(θ)/g, the given solution.

ehild

1. What is the definition of maximum perpendicular height above an inclined plane?

The maximum perpendicular height above an inclined plane is the greatest distance from a point on a slope to the highest point on the same slope, measured perpendicular to the slope's surface.

2. How is the maximum perpendicular height above an inclined plane calculated?

The maximum perpendicular height can be calculated using the formula h = l sinθ, where h is the maximum perpendicular height, l is the length of the inclined plane, and θ is the angle of inclination. Alternatively, it can be calculated by finding the vertical component of the slope's height using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the significance of the maximum perpendicular height above an inclined plane?

The maximum perpendicular height is an important measurement in determining the stability and safety of objects or structures on an inclined plane. It can also be used in various engineering and construction applications, such as determining the necessary angle for a ramp or the maximum slope a vehicle can safely drive on.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the maximum perpendicular height?

The angle of inclination has a direct impact on the maximum perpendicular height. As the angle increases, the maximum perpendicular height also increases, making it more difficult for objects to maintain their stability on the slope. This is because the steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity pulling objects downward.

5. Can the maximum perpendicular height be greater than the length of the inclined plane?

Yes, the maximum perpendicular height can be greater than the length of the inclined plane. This can occur when the angle of inclination is greater than 90 degrees, meaning the slope is pointing downward. In this case, the maximum perpendicular height would be measured from the bottom of the slope to the highest point on the slope, which could be above the starting point.