Maximum modulus principal for complex valued functions

In summary, the Maximum Principle states that if h(z) is a complex-valued harmonic function on a bounded domain D and extends continuously to the boundary ∂D, then |h(z)| ≤ M for all z in D. The proof for this principle relies on the fact that a continuous function on a compact set attains its maximum modulus at some point. This principle also applies to complex valued functions, and if h(z) is not constant, it must attain its maximum on the boundary and nowhere else. The significance of this theorem is in relating what is happening on the boundary to what is happening on the interior.
fleazo
Sorry for posting two threads, these question are kind of related. i just don't understand something important here:The definition of the Maximum Principle, as given in Gamelin's "Complex Analysis", p. 88:

Maximum Principle. Let h(z) be a complex-valued harmonic function on a bounded domain D $ h(z) extends continuously to the boundary ∂D of D. If |h(z)|≤M for all z in ∂D, then |h(z)| ≤ M for all z in D.OK... so we begin with the assumption that h(z) is a complex valued harmonic function that is continuous on the set D U ∂D. It is my understanding that D U ∂D is a compact set. Now, there is a theorem in section II.1 of the book which states: a continuous real valued function on a compact set attains its maximum. Also we know that a continuous real valued function on closed bounded interval is bounded. My first question is: Do these two properties extend to complex valued functions? The reason I ask is because the proof for the maximum principle begins by saying: "The proof of the maximum principle hinges on the fact that a continuous function on a compact set attains its maximum modulus at some point on the sec. See Section II.1" OK, now that that is out of the way... if those properties do apply to complex valued functions, doesn't that mean that h(z) is bounded on D U ∂D? So doesn't that mean that |h(z)| ≤ M for all z in D and for all z in ∂D? Then why does the theorem require the statement: If |h(z)|≤M for all z in ∂D? Won't it be true regardless?OK... a second question. If those properties I mentioned extend to the complex valued functions, when I approach this it seems there are two scenarios: since we know h(z) attains its max, we know that it attains it either on a point in D or a point in the boundary ∂D. Now, if h(z) takes on its max value at some point on D, we know that h(z) is constant (by the strict maximum principle, I'll list that below for reference). How do we know where it attains its max (on D or on the boundary of D)? Do we always have to use the information that if it happens on D then its constant? Can harmonic functions be constant? (i know that question sounds stupid)OK... I feel like I am gravely misunderstanding these kind of simple theorems and I would really love somebody to tell me where I'm going wrong. for some reason,, this max modulus principle is really confusing me.by the way, here is the Strict maxiumum principle (complex version), p.88 of Gamelins "Complex Analysis": Let h be a bounded complex valued harmonic function on a domain D. If |h(z)| ≤ M for all z in D, and |h(z_{0})| = M for some z_{0} in D, => h(z) is constant on D.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, I just wanted to respond to my threat because i finally resolved this problem. yes, those theorems do apply to complex valued functions. But the significance of the theorem isn't in showing that h(z) is bounded (this is all ready stated in the other theorem), it's in relating what is going on on the boundary to what is going on on the interior.So we know that if we have a complex valued harmonic function h(z) on D U boundary of D, that h(z) is going to reach its maximum at some point on that set. If it reaches its maxiumum on the interior, h(z) is constant (as per the other theorem I referenceD) which means it attains its max everywhere, including the boundary. However, if it attains its maximum on the boundary, we know that the interior is dominated by this and is strictly less. So if we have a complex valued harmonic function h(z) continuous on a compact set and we know its not constant, this means it MUST attain its max on the boundary and no where else.i just wanted to post this in case anyone else ever comes here confused about this theorem!

Related to Maximum modulus principal for complex valued functions

What is the maximum modulus principal for complex valued functions?

The maximum modulus principal is a theorem in complex analysis that states that the maximum absolute value of a complex-valued function occurs on the boundary of the domain. In other words, the maximum value of the function will be located on the edge of the region being considered, rather than in the interior.

How is the maximum modulus principal used in complex analysis?

The maximum modulus principal is a fundamental tool in complex analysis that allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of complex-valued functions. It is often used to find the maximum value of a function, locate its singularities, and determine the convergence or divergence of series involving complex functions.

Can the maximum modulus principal be applied to all complex-valued functions?

Yes, the maximum modulus principal can be applied to any function that is analytic in a given region. This means that the function must have a derivative at every point within the region, and it must be continuous. If these conditions are met, then the maximum modulus principal can be used to analyze the behavior of the function.

What are some real-world applications of the maximum modulus principal?

The maximum modulus principal has numerous applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is used in the design of electronic circuits, the analysis of wave propagation in materials, and the study of fluid flow. It also has applications in optics, such as in the design of lenses and mirrors.

How does the maximum modulus principal relate to Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula and the maximum modulus principal are closely related. Cauchy's formula states that the value of an analytic function at any point inside a closed contour can be calculated by integrating the function over the contour. The maximum modulus principal allows us to determine where the maximum value of the function is located, which is useful in finding the value of the function at a given point using Cauchy's formula.