Maximum mechanical energy in the spring-block system

In summary: At t=0 , ##E_{max} =\frac{1}{2}mv^2 +\frac{1}{2}kA^2+ mvAω##Now from the moving frame we can deduce that maximum potential energy ##\frac{1}{2}kA^2## should be equal to kinetic energy at the mean position (at t=0 in this case) which is equal to ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2## . So ##\frac{1}{2}kA^2 =\frac{1}{2}mv^2 ## .
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=04a2765008f1df9691fd5140df0f7653.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose the free end of hte spring moves towards right .Consider a reference frame moving with speed 'v' along with the free end of the spring .

From this frame ,the block has an initial speed 'v' towards left . At maximum elongation of spring ,the speed of the block is zero .

Applying Conservation of energy ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}kx^2## .

Total mechanical energy at any instant from this frame is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2## . But this is incorrect .

Could someone help me with the problem .

Thanks .

Attachments

• block.PNG
    block.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
At maximum elongation of spring ,the speed of the block is zero
If the speed is zero in your moving frame, then what is the kinetic energy of the block in the laboratory frame ?

BvU said:
If the speed is zero in your moving frame, then what is the kinetic energy of the block in the laboratory frame ?

The speed of the block in the lab frame would be 'v' and kinetic energy = ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##

So what is the maximum mechanical energy in the spring-block system ?

Apparently it depends on the reference frame...

Did your transformation to the spring-end system help you or did it ultimately just confuse you ?

BvU said:
So what is the maximum mechanical energy in the spring-block system ?

Does that mean maximum mechanical energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mv^2## ?

Vibhor said:
Does that mean maximum mechanical energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mv^2## ?
That's what I would say.

o_O

The answer given is ##2mv^2## .

Hmm... Let me think about this one. What book is this problem from?

The problem was given in one of the practice sheets . No idea about the book .

Please take your time.

Vibhor said:
No. You need to determine at what point of the motion the mass has the most energy in the the "lab" frame of reference.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
No. You need to determine at what point of the motion the mass has the most energy in the the "lab" frame of reference.
TSny is right. The mechanical energy is frame dependent and so is the point of maximum mechanical energy. (My prior statement was wrong. ?:))

TSny said:

The block has maximum speed when during the motion , the spring becomes unstretched .

How should I approach this problem ?

Last edited:
There are different ways to approach it.

In the moving frame, can you write expressions for the kinetic energy and the potential energy as functions of time? (What type of motion does the block have in the moving frame?)

If so, you could try transforming each of these expressions individually to the lab frame and then construct the total energy as a function of time in the lab frame.

[EDIT: Or, instead of worrying with the expressions as functions of time, you might try the following. Express the total instantaneous energy in the lab frame in terms of the total energy in the moving frame and additional terms that depend on v and v', where v is the speed of the moving frame and v' is the instantaneous speed of the mass in the moving frame. You should then be able to deduce the maximum energy in the lab frame.]

Last edited:
Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
There are different ways to approach it.

In the moving frame, can you write expressions for the kinetic energy and the potential energy as functions of time? (What type of motion does the block have in the moving frame?)

If so, you could try transforming each of these expressions individually to the lab frame and then construct the total energy as a function of time in the lab frame.

In the moving frame block would have SHM .

##E(t) =\frac{1}{2}mv'^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 ## ,where ##x=Asinωt ## and ##v'=Aωcosωt ##

In the lab frame , this could be written as ,

##E(t) =\frac{1}{2}m(v'+v)^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 ##

Does this make any sense ?

Vibhor said:
In the moving frame block would have SHM .

##E(t) =\frac{1}{2}mv'^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 ## ,where ##x=Asinωt ## and ##v'=Aωcosωt ##

In the lab frame , this could be written as ,

##E(t) =\frac{1}{2}m(v'+v)^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 ##

Does this make any sense ?
Yes, that looks good.

Expand out your last equation (without substituting for x and v' in terms of time) and see what you get.

Likes Vibhor
##E(t) =\frac{1}{2}mv^2 +\frac{1}{2}kA^2+ mvv'##

On putting ##E'(t)=0## , I get t=0 i.e E(t) is maximum at times t=0 , π/ω, 2π/ω ...

At t=0 , ##E_{max} =\frac{1}{2}mv^2 +\frac{1}{2}kA^2+ mvAω##

Now from the moving frame we can deduce that maximum potential energy ##\frac{1}{2}kA^2## should be equal to kinetic energy at the mean position (at t=0 in this case) which is equal to ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2## . So ##\frac{1}{2}kA^2 =\frac{1}{2}mv^2 ## .

Again , from the Moving frame (i.e from SHM equation) , we can deduce maximum speed ##Aω=v## .

Putting everything back in the expression of ##E_{max}## above , ##E_{max} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mv^2 = 2mv^2##

Does the reasoning look alright ?

Last edited:
I didn't catch it earlier, but your expressions for ##x## and ##v'## in terms of ##t## have a sign error. In the primed frame, is the mass moving toward positive x or negative x at t = 0?

I think you'll find that ##E_{max}## in the lab frame does not occur at ##t = 0## or at ##t = 2 \pi/\omega##.

Nevertheless, your reasoning overall looks correct to me and I agree with your final answer for ##E_{max}##.

Note that if you go back to ##E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}kA^2 + mvv'##, you can see by inspection that max E occurs when ##v'## has its maximum value. This should get you the answer without worrying about values of ##t##.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
I didn't catch it earlier, but your expressions for ##x## and ##v'## in terms of ##t## have a sign error. In the primed frame, is the mass moving toward positive x or negative x at t = 0?

In the moving frame ,the mass is moving toward negative x (towards left ) at t = 0 .

So , should it be ##x=-Asinωt## and ##v'=-Aωcosωt## ?

Another thing, looking from the moving frame , at t=0 , isn't the mass at the mean position and moving towards the negative extreme position ?

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
In the moving frame ,the mass is moving toward negative x (towards left ) at t = 0 .

So , should it be ##x=-Asinωt## and ##v'=-Aωcosωt## ?
Yes.
Another thing, looking from the moving frame , at t=0 , isn't the mass at the mean position and moving towards the negative extreme position ?
Yes. That agrees with your equations for x and v' above.

TSny said:
I think you'll find that ##E_{max}## in the lab frame does not occur at ##t = 0## or at ##t = 2 \pi/\omega##.

But , E'(t) = 0 gives ## \omega t = n\pi## OR in other words the maximum speed in the SHM is at the mean position ?

Last edited:
The derivative of a function is zero at minima as well as maxima. Does t = 0 correspond to a maximum of E(t) or a minimum?

Yes, the maximum speed in SHM (in the moving frame) occurs when the mass passes through the point where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed (i.e., the equilibrium position of the spring). In the lab frame, does the mass have maximum speed every time it passes through the equilibrium position of the spring?

Last edited:
Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
The derivative of a function is zero at minima as well as maxima.

:oops:

TSny said:
[EDIT: Or, instead of worrying with the expressions as functions of time, you might try the following. Express the total instantaneous energy in the lab frame in terms of the total energy in the moving frame and additional terms that depend on v and v', where v is the speed of the moving frame and v' is the instantaneous speed of the mass in the moving frame. You should then be able to deduce the maximum energy in the lab frame.]

How do i go with this approach ?

The total energy in the moving frame =##\frac{1}{2}kA^2##

But How do I write total instantaneous energy in the lab frame ? What are the additional terms that depend on v and v'?

Vibhor said:
:oops:
How do i go with this approach ?

The total energy in the moving frame =##\frac{1}{2}kA^2##

But How do I write total instantaneous energy in the lab frame ?
You did that in post #16. See your first equation there. You can substitute for ##v'## in terms of ##t## to get the explicit time dependence of E. It will simplify nicely. See post #18 for ##v'(t)##.

But how do i interpret ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mvv'## ? What energy these two terms represent ?

Vibhor said:
But how do i interpret ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mvv'## ?
These two terms together represent the difference in total energy in the lab frame and the total energy in the moving frame.

TSny said:
These two terms together represent the difference in total energy in the lab frame and the total energy in the moving frame.

I understand it now by backward reasoning ,since I know the expression for total energy in lab frame and moving frame . But what if I had approached with this method first .

How do we write total energy in the lab frame ?

Total energy in lab frame = Total energy in moving frame + ?

From an earlier post you had ##E(t) = \frac{1}{2}m(v+v')^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2##. In another post, you have expressions for ##x## and ##v'## as functions of time. So, you should be able to get ##E(t)## as an explicit function of time.

:sorry:

I was thinking that in post#13 you were giving an alternative way of approaching the problem . But now I realize that the edited part was an alternate/faster way to analyze the expression for the total energy .

Right ?

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
:sorry:

I was thinking that in post#13 you were giving an alternative way of approaching the problem . But now I realize that the edited part was an alternate/faster way to analyze the expression for the total energy .

Right ?
Yes. The first way was to get E(t) explicitly as a function of time. The second was to express E in terms of v and v' and get the answer by inspection.

Likes Vibhor
One last question , am I right in concluding that during the course of motion the work done by external agent pulling the free end would be both positive and negative ? Alternate positive and negative work would be done by the agent .

??

Vibhor said:
One last question , am I right in concluding that during the course of motion the work done by external agent pulling the freed end would be both positive and negative ? Alternate positive and negative work would be done by the agent .

??
Yes, there are times when the pulling force is doing positive work and times when it is doing negative work. The total work done (starting at t = 0) varies between 0 and 2mv2 over and over again. So, the total work done since the start is never negative.

Likes Vibhor
Thank you very much Sir :smile: .

Related to Maximum mechanical energy in the spring-block system

1. What is maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system?

Maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system refers to the point at which the spring is fully compressed and the block has reached its maximum displacement from its equilibrium position. At this point, the system has the maximum potential energy and kinetic energy.

2. How is maximum mechanical energy calculated in a spring-block system?

The maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system can be calculated by using the equation E = 1/2kx², where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system?

The maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system is affected by the spring constant, the mass of the block, and the displacement of the block from its equilibrium position. A higher spring constant or larger displacement will result in a higher maximum mechanical energy.

4. How does the maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system change with time?

In a spring-block system, the maximum mechanical energy remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on the system. However, as the block moves back towards its equilibrium position, the mechanical energy will decrease due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy.

5. What is the significance of maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system?

The maximum mechanical energy in a spring-block system is important because it represents the maximum amount of energy that can be stored in the system. This energy can be harnessed and used for various applications, such as in mechanical devices or in the study of energy conservation.