Analyzing Olympic Records: Finding k & n in t = kd^n

• Thread starter JPR
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that athletic records follow the law t = kd^n, where d is the distance in metres, t is the time and k and n are constants. The Olympic records for certain track events for men are given as data and the task is to plot a graph of log(t) against log(d) and determine if it supports the claim. It is deduced that the graph is a straight line with a slope of 1.1545 and a y-intercept of -1.352. The relationship between k and the y-intercept is discussed and the values for k and n can be found using the formula log(t) = nlog(d) + log(k).
JPR
It is claimed that athletic records follow the law t = kd^n, where d is the distance in metres, t is the time and k and n are constants. The Olympic records (prior to the 22nd games in Moscow, 1980) for certain track events for men, are given in the following table.
Distance 200m 400m 800m 1500m 5000m
Time 19.83 sec 43.86 sec 1m43.5 sec 3m34.9 sec 12m20.4 sec

(a) plot a graph of log10t against log10d and determine whether these values support the above claim.

(b) If this claim is true, in which of the above distances is the record most likely to be broken next?

(c) If the claim is true, find values for k and n.

This is a question on my year 12 Maths B (Australia) assignment. I've got no dramas with the first two questions - I am able to deduce that log10t = 1.1545 log10d - 1.352, and I have found the answer in b to be the 1500m. However for question 3 I can't see how I am able to derive the two constants. It probably has something to do with the equation or there is something simple that I am missing. I don't want any answers but could someone please put me onto the right track.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IF "t = kd^n" is true then log(t)= nlog(d)+ log(k) which means that the graph of log(t) versus log(d) is a straight line (if we let y= log(t), x= log(d), and b= log(k), y= nx+ b). Is that what you saw when you graphed them? Can you find the slope and y intercept of your line? How is k related to the y intercept?

Thanks for the help.

Yes the graph of log(t) vs log(d) was a straight line, and gave the formula y=1.1545x - 1.352. The graph also had an R^2 value of 0.9994 which I thought was pretty amazing. I know the values for the slope and y-intercept and given the formula you mentioned (log(t)= nlog(d)+ log(k) which by the way we haven't encountered in class 'yet') I can see how I can find the values for k and n from these numbers. Thanks again.

What is the purpose of analyzing Olympic records?

The purpose of analyzing Olympic records is to understand the patterns and trends in athletic performance over time. By finding the values of k and n in the equation t = kd^n, we can determine the rate at which athletes are improving and the degree of improvement.

What is the significance of the values of k and n in the equation t = kd^n?

The value of k represents the initial performance level, while the value of n represents the rate of improvement. These values can provide insight into the overall athletic performance and potential of a given sport or event.

How are the values of k and n calculated?

The values of k and n are calculated using statistical methods such as regression analysis. Data from multiple Olympic records are collected and analyzed to determine the best fit for the equation t = kd^n.

What factors can affect the values of k and n in the equation t = kd^n?

The values of k and n can be affected by a variety of factors, including changes in training methods, advancements in technology and equipment, and improvements in nutrition and sports medicine. They can also be impacted by external factors such as weather conditions and the quality of competition.

How can the analysis of Olympic records be useful in the field of sports science?

The analysis of Olympic records can provide valuable insights for coaches, trainers, and athletes in understanding the progress and potential of athletic performance. It can also inform the development of training programs and strategies to improve performance. Additionally, this analysis can contribute to the overall knowledge and understanding of human physical capabilities and limitations.

Back