Discover Fantastic Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books

In summary: I have a lot of favorites...In summary, the participants discussed their favorite sci-fi books, including Star Wars, the NJO series, Diaspora by Greg Egan, and Dune by Frank Herbert. They also touched on the role of science in literature, including its ability to satisfy intellectual and spiritual needs. The conversation also delved into the idea of finding God or the divine through scientific theories like the Big Bang. Overall, the participants had a wide range of favorites and opinions on the intersection of science and literature.

Favourite Science Fiction

• Ender's Game (And all accompanying series)- OSC

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Foundation/The Gods Themselves/Nightfall- Asimov

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (and the rest of the years) - Arthur C. Clarke

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Pastwatch-OSC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Contact-Carl Sagan

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The Light of Other Days- Arthur Clarke and Baxter

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-Douglas Adams

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Classic Sci-Fi (The Time Machine, etc.)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sci-Fi Mags

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
women authors?

No one mentioned Ursula K. LeGuin - Left Hand of Darkness, Lathe of Heaven, and (for children, and adults too) A Wizard of Earthsea. Some of her writing is not scifi at all, and some is, well, not very good.

Physics news on Phys.org
my top five in no particular order

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks

Dune by Frank Herbert

The Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert

I thought Consider Phlebas a great book until the end. I felt cheated by that.

Has anyone read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

It's a fun and fast paced book. Definitely worth a look if you are interested in computers or virtual reality.

My vote is for Asimov, I loved reading the Dr Urth stories when I was growing up.

I just finished Snow Crash a couple of weeks ago. Great adventure and interesting characters. I thought "William Gibson meets Tim Powers". Cyberpunk plus threats from ancient (but true) mythology, the last being Tim Powers very entertaining specialty (look him up).

Currently reading Gibson's Pattern recognition. Not sf, exactly, nominally present day, but very techy. Hero is a lady whose father disappeared in the 9/11 destruction (or did he?). she's allergic to certain common logos and supports herself as a cool hunter. That's hunter of cool.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
I just finished Snow Crash a couple of weeks ago. Great adventure and interesting characters. I thought "William Gibson meets Tim Powers". Cyberpunk plus threats from ancient (but true) mythology, the last being Tim Powers very entertaining specialty (look him up).

Currently reading Gibson's Pattern recognition. Not sf, exactly, nominally present day, but very techy. Hero is a lady whose father disappeared in the 9/11 destruction (or did he?). she's allergic to certain common logos and supports herself as a cool hunter. That's hunter of cool.

Thanks! I will check them both out. Anytime someone that has enjoyed a book I like can also recommend others, that is SO helpful. I read so much, so quickly, that I find myself hesitant to finish a good book because I am afraid I won't find more that are as interesting.

I don't read as much SF as I'd like to, but I remember especially enjoying Greg Egan's Permutation City and Stephen Baxter's The Time Ships.

Egan has a great web page with fun applets, some of his works, and notes to some of his works.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint

gibson is one of my favorite authors and _pattern recognition_ is decent. _snow crash_ is very good, as is stephenson's _cryptonomicon_. unfortunately, his latest _quicksilver_ is awful; i gave up giving it the benefit of the doubt after 100 pages and put it down for good; quite a shame really since the story features isaac Newton and the early days of physics/scientific method.

dan simmons' latest, _ilium_, is very good

I'm a little late replying to this thread but here goes,

Some of my favorite authors/books which haven't been mentioned:

Robert J. Sawyer: The Terminal Experiment, Hominids, Humans, Factoring Humanity

Robert Sawyer seems to have a very good grasp of science. His use of hard science blended with philosophical/moral issues make for excellent reading.

Eric Nylund: Signal to Noise and A Signal Shattered (sequel)

These are the only two novels I have read by Nylund but they are excellent. I've heard them referred to as 'hyperpunk' but I'm not sure what that means. It is, IMHO, an excellent story. Review

Some other previously mentioned works I like:

Arthur C. Clark: Rama series, A Space Odyssey

Isaac Asimov: Foundation series, Robot series

My favorite fantasy series:

Stephen R. Donaldson: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (had to mention it)

G,day I loved Star Hammer that was a good readable sci-fi novel. Walter Williams is also an author I like tremendously. I do a bit of writing myself and have a novel I have written called Doom Of The Shem.
Doom Of The Shem is a science fiction novel that incorporates the horror of military action with the unavoidable hostilities that occur when an alien species invade a planet in search of food. The barbarity of war is brought to light by the work achieved by the nurses and medical personnel of the planets inhabitants. While a full blown military action story emerges from an ensuing war that involves the whole planet. It is especially centered on a squad of the planets army forces, who fight the alien invaders.
doomoftheshem.blogspot.com

You, sir, just replied to a five year old thread.