Maximum kinetic friction-combined with a projectile problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a cannon is shooting emergency packets to a flooded building of height 125 meters, with the goal of having the packets land gently on the roof and slide to a stop. The initial speed and angle of the cannon must be determined to achieve this scenario. The minimum coefficient of kinetic friction between the packets and the roof is also discussed, with a calculation error being addressed. The correct value for mu is found to be approximately 0.1667.
Poetria

Homework Statement

A cannon at ground level is shooting emergency packets to people stranded on the roof of a flooded building of height H=125 meters. The corner of the building is located a distance D=50 meters from the cannon. It is desired that the incoming packets are flying tangent to the roof as shown so that they land gently with as little impact as possible and slide along to a stop.

Find the initial speed v0 and at what angle θ (in degrees) the cannon should be aimed to achieve the above scenario
If the roof has length L=30 meters (not shown) what is the minimum coefficient of kinetic friction between the food packets and the roof such that the packets do not slide off the other side?

Homework Equations

v^2(x)=v^2_i,x+2a*x(x−xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I only have a problem with the third part but I think I have found my mistake. I have confused horizontal velocity with vertical velocity. I got a very strange value for mu, much too high.

When packets land on a roof, there is no vertical velocity involved and I have already computed the value for the horizontal: v=9.9.

0=9.9^2-2*a*30
a=1.6335

m*a=mu*m*g
a=mu*g
mu=1.6335/9.8
mu=0.1666836734693877551020408163265306122448979591836734

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct.
Poetria said:
mu=0.1666836734693877551020408163265306122448979591836734
Are you sure it is not 0.1666836734693877551020408163265306122448979591836733? You should round final results to reasonable precision.

Likes Poetria
Right. Many thanks. :)
It is my friend, Wolfram Alpha.

Related to Maximum kinetic friction-combined with a projectile problem

1. What is maximum kinetic friction?

Maximum kinetic friction is the maximum amount of friction that can be exerted on an object when it is in motion. It is dependent on the type of surface the object is moving on and the force pushing the object forward.

2. How is maximum kinetic friction determined?

Maximum kinetic friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction between two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object. The coefficient of friction is a constant that represents the roughness of the two surfaces in contact.

3. What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a thrown ball or a launched rocket.

4. How does maximum kinetic friction affect a projectile?

In a projectile problem, maximum kinetic friction can affect the distance, velocity, and trajectory of the object. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can decrease the distance and speed of the projectile.

5. How can maximum kinetic friction be minimized in a projectile problem?

Maximum kinetic friction can be minimized by reducing the weight of the object, using smoother surfaces, or increasing the force pushing the object forward. Additionally, launching the object at an angle can also decrease the effect of friction.