Maximum Height of Two Balls After Collision in Air

In summary, by using the equations for elastic collision and kinetic energy, it is possible to calculate the maximum heights reached by two elastic balls of mass 0.3kg and 0.2kg after a collision. The initial height of one of the balls, 0.05m, is used to find the initial velocity, and from there the final velocities can be calculated. Using the potential energy of the balls, the maximum heights reached are 0.0125m and 0.072m respectively.
rh0mbus

Homework Statement

Two elastic balls of mass m1 = 0.3kg and m2 = 0.2kg are hanging on a thin rope so that their centre of gravity is on the same height. ball 1 goes out of balance raising it up to h0 = 0.05m
Then letting it go hitting ball 2. Calculate the maximum height of both balls reaching after the collision.

m1 = 0.3kg
m2 = 0.2kg
h0 = 0.05m
g = 10m/s2
and since m2 is not moving it's V2 = 0m/s

h1 = ?
h2 = ?

Homework Equations

I'm not 100% sure,
but I do know I am supposed to use the elastic collision equation:
m1*V1+m2*V2 = m1*V1'+m2*V2' since V2 = 0m/s it's:
m1*V1 = m1*V1'+m2*V2'

And I'm guessing kinetic energy:
ΔEk = 4 * m1*m2/(m1+m2)2 * Ek1
Ek1 = 1/2*m1*V12

The Attempt at a Solution

First I made a drawing of it to understand it better.
A 2 ball Newton cradle.
I just don't see how am I supposed to collide those 2 equations and then the height.
And what am i supposed to do with g = 10m/s2 ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By raising the ball to a ht. of ho, you give it a potential energy change of mg(ho), which will be converted to Kinetic energy when the ball comes down
mgho = 1/2m(v1^2), thus u get v1.

Find final velocities. use potential energy again after that.

vanihba said:
By raising the ball to a ht. of ho, you give it a potential energy change of mg(ho), which will be converted to Kinetic energy when the ball comes down
mgho = 1/2m(v1^2), thus u get v1.

Find final velocities. use potential energy again after that.

I've managed to finish the problem after your help. Thank you!

h1 = 0.0125m
h2 = 0.072m

Related to Maximum Height of Two Balls After Collision in Air

What factors affect the collision of two balls in air?

The speed, mass, and direction of the balls, as well as the air resistance and the angle of collision, all play a role in the collision of two balls in air. Other factors, such as the elasticity and surface roughness of the balls, can also impact the outcome of the collision.

What happens during a collision between two balls in air?

During a collision between two balls in air, the kinetic energy of the balls is transferred between them. This causes them to change direction and speed, depending on the factors mentioned above. Additionally, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to friction and air resistance.

How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of a collision between two balls in air?

The angle of collision between two balls in air can greatly affect the outcome. If the balls collide head-on, they will have the most direct transfer of energy and change direction equally. However, if the angle of collision is more glancing, the transfer of energy will be less direct and the balls will change direction and speed differently.

What is the conservation of momentum and how does it apply to the collision of two balls in air?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the momentum of the two balls before they collide will be equal to the sum of their momentum after they collide. This principle applies to the collision of two balls in air, as the momentum of the balls will be conserved during the collision.

How does air resistance affect the collision of two balls in air?

Air resistance can greatly impact the collision of two balls in air. As the balls move through the air, they will experience a force in the opposite direction of their motion due to air resistance. This force can slow down the balls and decrease their kinetic energy, resulting in a less energetic collision. Additionally, air resistance can also cause the balls to change direction and speed differently compared to a collision without air resistance.