Maximum Height for a Car to Roll Over a Hill on a Frictionless Track

In summary, the conversation discusses a car starting from rest at a height h on a frictionless track with circular-shaped segments of radius R. The question is to determine the maximum height h at which the car can start without flying off the track when going over the hill. The solution involves considering the potential energy and the force of the car as it travels over the curved path of the hill. The final answer is given as a multiple of R.
port31

Homework Statement

A car on the frictionless track starts from rest at height h. The tracks valley and hill
consists of a circular-shaped segments of radius R.
What is the maximum height h from which the car can start so as not to fly off the track when going over the hill?
Give your answer as a multiple of R.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I know that its potential energy is mgh when we let it go. And we need to put it at least
the height of R to make it the top of the hill on the other side.
But I am not sure how fast it can be going and not lift off the ground.
I know that it would have to exceed its weight. I am not sure how to relate the energy into force.

Attachments

• car ramp.JPG
    car ramp.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the path of the car over the top of the hill. It's a curve of radius R so what force do objects moving on a curved path experience?

ok thanks.
so now I have
[itex] \frac{mv^2}{r}=mg [/itex]
[itex] v=\sqrt{rg} [/itex]
then
[itex] mg(h-r)=m\frac{rg}{2} [/itex]
and this gets me the correct answer.
thanks for the help .

Related to Maximum Height for a Car to Roll Over a Hill on a Frictionless Track

1. How does the height of the track affect the speed of the car rolling down?

The height of the track does not directly affect the speed of the car rolling down. The speed of the car is determined by the force of gravity pulling it down the track and any additional forces acting on the car, such as friction or air resistance.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of the car rolling down a track?

The acceleration of the car rolling down a track is affected by the angle of the track, the mass of the car, and any external forces acting on the car. The steeper the angle of the track, the greater the acceleration will be. A heavier car will also accelerate slower than a lighter car. External forces, such as air resistance and friction, can also affect the acceleration of the car.

3. How does the shape of the track affect the motion of the car rolling down?

The shape of the track can affect the motion of the car rolling down in a few ways. A curved track can cause the car to change direction, while a straight track will maintain a constant direction. The surface of the track can also impact the speed of the car, as a smoother surface will have less friction and allow the car to roll faster.

4. What is the relationship between the mass of the car and its speed when rolling down a track?

The mass of the car does not have a direct relationship with its speed when rolling down a track. However, a heavier car will have more inertia, making it harder to slow down or change direction. This can impact the speed of the car if there are obstacles or turns on the track.

5. Can the rolling resistance of the wheels affect the speed of the car rolling down a track?

Yes, the rolling resistance of the wheels can affect the speed of the car rolling down a track. Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of the wheels, and a higher rolling resistance will result in a slower speed. Factors that can impact rolling resistance include the type of surface the wheels are rolling on and the condition of the wheels themselves.