Maximum friction force before slipping occurs

In summary, the concept of slipping refers to when an object begins to move due to the maximum friction force between its contact surface and the surface it is on being overcome. This maximum friction force can be calculated using the equation maximum friction force = coefficient of friction x normal force. In the case of a crate on a truck climbing a hill, the maximum acceleration the truck can have without the crate slipping can be calculated by using Newton's Second Law and finding the maximum frictional force before slipping.
electricblue

Homework Statement

Hi guys, i am sort of confused with the concept of slipping. I got a question.. what does it mean by maximum friction force before slipping occurs?

Homework Equations

I believe in the use of [tex]f_{}s[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\mu_{}s[/tex]n

The Attempt at a Solution

please correct me if i am wrong. maximum friction force before slipping occurs = [tex]\mu_{}s[/tex]n

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi electricblue! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a ≤ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
electricblue said:
Hi guys, i am sort of confused with the concept of slipping. I got a question.. what does it mean by maximum friction force before slipping occurs?

please correct me if i am wrong. maximum friction force before slipping occurs = [tex]\mu_{}s[/tex]n

Yes, if the force needed was any more (than µsN), then the force available wouldn't be enough, and so there would be slipping. :smile:

Hi electricblue,

To make you understand this concept, consider a block placed on an angled slope.

The block can either;

1. Slide (the frictional force exerted on the slope by the contact surface of the object < the force component due to gravity acting on the block parallel to the slope).

2. Remain stationary (the frictional force exerted on the slope by the contact surface of the object >= the force component due to gravity acting on the block parallel to the slope).

Let's say that the block originally remains stationary.

Now let's increase the angle of the slope. This has the same effect as to increase the force component due to gravity acting on the block parallel to the slope (You may find this easier to conceptualise if you draw a diagram).

There will come a point when the block begins to slide, that is, when the maximum frictional force between the contact surface and the block is overcome. This maximum frictional force is given by the equation you've stated, in words:

Maximum frictional force = coefficient of friction x normal force

Ok thanks! I got it now

I have been studying this concept of slipping now it gets me pondered..

what if i have a crate on a truck and the truck is suppose to climb up a hill of 20 degrees. mass of crate is 100kg and coefficent of static friction and kinetic friction is 0.4 and 0.5 respectively. the question is: What is the maximum acceleration the truck can have without the crate slipping?

Hi again electricblue,

You're going to have to show some attempt before we can help you.

Hint: Use N2L and also work out the maximum frictional force before slipping.

Related to Maximum friction force before slipping occurs

1. What is maximum friction force before slipping occurs?

The maximum friction force before slipping occurs, also known as the static friction force, is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object on a surface before it starts to slip. It is dependent on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact.

2. How is the maximum friction force calculated?

The maximum friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force exerted on the object. The normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object perpendicular to the surface.

3. What factors affect the maximum friction force?

The maximum friction force can be affected by several factors including the coefficient of friction, the normal force, the roughness of the surface, and the type of materials in contact. Additionally, the shape and weight distribution of the object can also impact the maximum friction force.

4. What happens if the applied force exceeds the maximum friction force?

If the applied force on an object exceeds the maximum friction force, the object will start to slip. This means that the static friction force has been overcome and the object will move in the direction of the applied force.

5. How can the maximum friction force be increased?

The maximum friction force can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces or by increasing the normal force exerted on the object. This can be achieved by using rougher surfaces, increasing the weight of the object, or increasing the contact area between the two surfaces.