Maximum Distance a Projectile Moves Up an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem that involves finding the maximum value of a function by differentiating it. The questioner is stuck at the differentiation step and is looking for help. However, they mention that they are not taking calculus along with physics and are self-taught, so they do not have the necessary knowledge to solve the problem. The other participants offer advice and resources for learning calculus. The conversation ends with the realization that calculus is essential for understanding and solving physics problems.
EnricoHendro
Homework Statement
A projectile is fired up an incline (incline angle θ) with an initial speed V[SUB]0[/SUB] at an angle φ with respect to the horizontal (φ > θ) as shown in Figure P4.86.
(a) Show that the projectile travels a distance, d, up the incline, where :
Relevant Equations
##\displaystyle d=\dfrac{2{V_0}^2 \cos\theta \sin(\theta-\phi)}{g^2 \cos^2 \phi}##
(Edited by Mentor emeritus)
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 5.51.30 PM.png

1582801061241.png the red line is the initial velocity, the grey parabola is the path of the projectile.

hi there...I'm kinda stuck at the part b of this problem. I can do part a with no problem.
can anybody explain to me how to do the differentiation needed to solve part b?? by explain I mean explain the steps, not just showing the results. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider ##d=f(\theta)## and differentiate with respect to ##\theta##. An example:
$$\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(a\sin(\theta)\right)=a\cos(\theta)$$
You need to find:
$$\frac{d}{d\theta}\left( \frac{2v_0^2}{g^2\cos^2(\phi)}\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta-\phi) \right)$$
Any term that does not involve ##\theta## is to be treated as a constant.
You should know what it means to maximize ##d(\theta)##, right?

archaic said:
Consider ##d=f(\theta)## and differentiate with respect to ##\theta##. An example:
$$\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(a\sin(\theta)\right)=a\cos(\theta)$$
You need to find:
$$\frac{d}{d\theta}\left( \frac{2v_0^2}{g^2\cos^2(\phi)}\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta-\phi) \right)$$
Any term that does not involve ##\theta## is to be treated as a constant.
You should know what it means to maximize ##d(\theta)##, right?
hmm...what I'm stuck at is how do you differentiate the equation from part a?? I mean I can memorize the result of the differentiation of the equation from part a, but I do not know how to differentiate it.

EnricoHendro said:
hmm...what I'm stuck at is how do you differentiate the equation from part a?? I mean I can memorize the result of the differentiation of the equation from part a, but I do not know how to differentiate it.
Oh, are you not taking calculus along with physics? Or maybe you haven't seen how to differentiate trigonometric functions yet? If it is the latter, please see this http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DiffTrigFcns.aspx
If you haven't taken calculus yet, though, then you can read the second and third chapter as ordered here http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx

Likes Lnewqban
archaic said:
Oh, are you not taking calculus along with physics? Or maybe you haven't seen how to differentiate trigonometric functions yet? If it is the latter, please see this http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DiffTrigFcns.aspx
nope...I am not taking calculus along with physics...in fact I am studying physics by myself...you know, self taught...so I am not taking any calculus. thanks a lot for the link by the way

EnricoHendro said:
nope...I am not taking calculus along with physics...in fact I am studying physics by myself...you know, self taught...so I am not taking any calculus. thanks a lot for the link by the way
You are welcome! If you are more of a learner through videos, you can always check Khan Academy:
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/ap-calculus-bc
They also have videos on Physics and other subjects, explore the website a bit, you might like it.

EnricoHendro said:
I am studying physics by myself...you know, self taught...so I am not taking any calculus.
Mathematics is the language of physics. You'll need the calculus first. The advice from @archaic was good.

EnricoHendro said:
Since you haven't taken calculus yet, then there is no way you can do problems in which you are asked to find a derivative or calculate an integral. Physics is often taught in two different tracks: one in which calculus knowledge is not required, and another that assumes the student has studied at least the first quarter or semester of calculus.

Since there is nothing more we can help you with until you get up to speed with calculus, I am closing this thread.

Related to Maximum Distance a Projectile Moves Up an Inclined Plane

What is the maximum distance a projectile can move up an inclined plane?

The maximum distance a projectile can move up an inclined plane is dependent on several factors, including the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity. It can be calculated using the equation d = v2sin(2θ)/g, where d is the maximum distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the incline, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of the incline affect the maximum distance a projectile can move?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the maximum distance a projectile can move. As the angle increases, the maximum distance decreases. This is because a steeper incline requires more force to overcome gravity and move the projectile upward.

Does the mass of the projectile affect the maximum distance it can move up an inclined plane?

Yes, the mass of the projectile does affect the maximum distance it can move up an inclined plane. A heavier projectile will require more force to overcome gravity and move up the incline, resulting in a shorter maximum distance.

Can the maximum distance a projectile moves up an inclined plane be greater than the length of the incline?

It is possible for the maximum distance a projectile moves up an inclined plane to be greater than the length of the incline. This can occur when the initial velocity and angle of the incline are both high enough to overcome the force of gravity and propel the projectile beyond the end of the incline.

What other factors can affect the maximum distance a projectile moves up an inclined plane?

In addition to initial velocity, angle of incline, and mass of the projectile, other factors that can affect the maximum distance include air resistance, surface friction, and the shape and size of the projectile. These factors can alter the trajectory and speed of the projectile, ultimately impacting the maximum distance it can travel.