Maximum current amplitude in RLC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an o.d.e and several parts that have been solved except for one related to resonance. The problem involves determining the frequency and maximum value of current for a given inductance, resistance, capacitance, and emf. The individuals in the conversation discuss the steps to solve the problem and compare their answers to the book's answer. They also consider the effect of changing the values of L and C on the frequency and amplitude of the current.
John 123
Using the following o.d.e
[tex]
L\frac{d^2i}{dt^2}+R\frac{di}{dt}+\frac{1}{C}i=\frac{d}{dt}E(t)
[/tex]
The following problem has several parts all of which I have solved except for the one below.
L=1/20
R=5
[tex]
C=4.10^{-4}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{dE}{dt}=200\cos100t
[/tex]
Where L is an inductance in henries, R is a resistance in ohms, C is a capacitance in farads and E is the emf in volts.
The part I cannot agree with the book is as follows.
Firstly:
What should the frequency of the input E(t) be in order that it be in resonance with the system? [This I have solved correctly as :
[tex]
100\sqrt5
[/tex]
radians/sec
But this part leads to the next which I can't agree.
What is the maximum value of the current amplitude for this resonant frequency?
Book Answer= 2/5 amp.
John

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you solved the differential equation to obtain i (t) ? No doubt that frequency enters somewhere in the equation, then substitute 100sqrt(5), differentiate and set equal to 0 to find the maximum or minimum current, then differentiate a second time and check to see if it's a negative value, so that you're sure you're at a maximum, not a minimum.

If you integrate dE= 200cos100t*dt. you will get Emax.
At resonance inductive reactance XL cancels capacitive reactance XC leaving only resistance in the circuit. Now find the maximum current.

Reply to Lennox Lewis
Yes the steady state current is:
[tex]
i_s=\frac{2}{85}(\sin100t+4\cos100t)
[/tex]
When you substitute the frequency
[tex]
100\sqrt5
[/tex]
Differentiate and set to zero you get
[tex]
t=\frac{\tan^{-1}0.25}{100\sqrt5}
[/tex]
But this leads to a max current of 0.097 Amp[The book answer is 2/5 Amp]?
Regards
John

Reply to rl.bhat
You have used the frequency 100 rad/sec whereas the frequency for resonance is
[tex]
100\sqrt5
[/tex]
?
Regards
John

If E(t) = 2sin100t, what is dE(t)/dt ?
In the given problem Emax = 2V.
The maximum current at resonance is Emax/R.

Hi again
Am I misunderstanding these two parts of the question?
Part 1.
What should the frequency of the input E(t) be in order that it be in resonance with the system?
ANSWER
[tex]
100\sqrt5 rad.sec^{-1}
[/tex]
Part 2.
What is the maximum value of the amplitude for THIS RESONANT FREQUENCY?[My caps bold]
ANSWER
Well if
[tex]
\frac{dE(t)}{dt}=200\cos{(100\sqrt5)t}
[/tex]
then
[tex]
E(t)=\frac{2}{\sqrt5}\sin{(100\sqrt5)t}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
i_max=\frac{2}{5\sqrt5}amps?
[/tex]
Regards
John

My apologies there is an error in the last posting.
It should be:
[tex]
\frac{dE(t)}{dt}=200\cos(100\sqrt5)t
[/tex]
and
[tex]
E(t)=\frac{2}{\sqrt5}\sin(100\sqrt5)t
[/tex]
This leads to
i(max)=2/5xsqrt5

John

Here is another question with the same problem.
a.Find the steady state current if L=1/20,R=20,C=1/10000,E=100COS200t.
b.What is the frequency of the input E(t) in order that it be in resonance with the system.
c. What is the maximum value of the amplitude for this resonant frequency?
I have answered parts a. and b. correctly as:
a. [tex]
i=\cos200t-2\sin200t
[/tex]
b.
[tex]
\omega=200\sqrt5
[/tex]
But once again I cannot see the book answer for part c, which is 5 amp?
Regards
John

In both the problem E is given.You can change E keeping Eo constant by changing either L or C. At a particular setting of L, C and R, E will be maximum. At that instant, they have asked, what is the frequency of E. You can change E by either changing Eo keeping frequency constant or by changing frequency keeping Eo constant. In the problem they have adopted the second method. At resonance impedance will be purely resistive. Hence Imax = Eo/R = 100/20

Many thanks.
Yes the amplitude E remains the same. I think the wording of the question is confusing by asking for the maximum amplitude FOR THIS FREQUENCY. However, as you say, whatever the frequency the amplitude hasn't been changed.
Regards
John

Related to Maximum current amplitude in RLC circuit

1. What is the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit?

The maximum current amplitude in a series RLC circuit occurs when the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum value. This happens when the reactive components (inductance and capacitance) cancel each other out, leaving only the resistance component to determine the overall impedance. The formula for maximum current amplitude is Imax = Vmax/R, where Vmax is the maximum voltage across the circuit and R is the resistance.

2. How do you calculate the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit?

To calculate the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit, you need to know the values of the resistance, inductance, and capacitance in the circuit, as well as the maximum voltage across the circuit. Then, you can use the formula Imax = Vmax/R to determine the maximum current amplitude.

3. What factors affect the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit?

The maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit is affected by several factors, including the values of the resistance, inductance, and capacitance, as well as the frequency of the input voltage. Additionally, the presence of any external resistors or components in the circuit can also affect the maximum current amplitude.

4. What happens to the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit when the frequency changes?

The maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit is dependent on the frequency of the input voltage. As the frequency changes, the impedance of the circuit also changes, resulting in a change in the maximum current amplitude. At the resonant frequency of the circuit, the maximum current amplitude is at its peak, while it decreases as the frequency moves away from resonance.

5. How does the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit affect the overall performance of the circuit?

The maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit is an important factor in determining the overall performance of the circuit. A higher maximum current amplitude means that the circuit is able to handle larger currents, which can be beneficial in certain applications. However, a very high maximum current amplitude can also lead to issues such as overheating and potential damage to the circuit components, so it is important to carefully design and control the maximum current amplitude in an RLC circuit.