Maximum current a superconductor can carry

In summary, the homework problem is to determine the maximum current a 3.00-mm-diameter niobium wire can carry and remain fully superconducting, given that its superconductivity is destroyed at a magnetic field above 0.100 T. Using the formula B = (μ0I)/(2∏r) and assuming a DC current, the attempt at a solution involves solving for I by setting B equal to 0.100 T and using a wire radius of 0.00015m. The calculations may also require applying Ampere's Law to determine the amount of current enclosed.
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

Niobium metal becomes a superconductor when cooled below 9 K. Its superconductivity is destroyed when the magnetic field inside the superconductor exceeds 0.100 T. Determine the maximum current a 3.00-mm-diameter niobium wire can carry and remain fully superconducting, in the absence of any external magnetic field.

Homework Equations

So we know if B > 0.1 T, the superconductor is destroyed, thus we have to find an I that will not make it exceed such figure. The formula I was thinking of using is:

B = (μ0I)/(2∏r)

r = 1.5 mm, or 0.00015m
B = 0.100 T
Solve for I

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for I: (B2∏r)/(μ0) = I

Does that make sense? I can't find much info in my book about superconductors to guide me

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I'm trying to do as good as possible in these assignments, but this one has got me stumped :/

That's the way I would do it. You'll have to assume a DC current is flowing so that the current is spread evenly across the wire cross section. Keep in mind you will be calculating B inside the wire.. how much of the current is enclosed when applying Ampere's Law?

Related to Maximum current a superconductor can carry

What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain critical temperature.

What is the maximum current a superconductor can carry?

The maximum current a superconductor can carry is known as the critical current. It varies depending on factors such as temperature, magnetic field, and material composition.

What determines the critical temperature of a superconductor?

The critical temperature of a superconductor is determined by its material composition, specifically the strength of the electron pairing force. Materials with stronger electron pairing forces have higher critical temperatures.

How is the maximum current of a superconductor measured?

The maximum current of a superconductor is measured using a technique called the four-probe method. This involves passing a known current through the superconductor and measuring the voltage drop across it to determine the resistance.

What are the potential applications of high-temperature superconductors?

High-temperature superconductors have the potential to revolutionize numerous industries, including energy transmission, transportation, and medical imaging. They can also lead to more efficient electronics and faster computing.