Maximum available energy for proton accelerators

In summary, the maximum available energy for producing new particles is 23 TeV. Other considerations might be important in making the decision, such as the center of mass energy.
genloz

Homework Statement

Suppose an accelerator has been constructed to provide 1 TeV proton beam. It must be decided how to use it, There are four possibilities:
a) hit a fix target;

b) collide with a 50 GeV electron to study ep collisions;

c) collide with another proton beam also accelerated up to 1 TeV;

d)collide with an antiproton beam, made from a source of antiprotons (more difficult to obtain).

What is the maximum available energy for the production of new particles in each case? What other consideration might be important in making the decision?

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the maximum available energy the same thing as the center of mass energy? In which case I thought the answer for part (d) was:

[tex]\sqrt{s}=2E
s=4E^{2}
s=4TeV^{2}
[/tex]

and I found a formula for part (c) but can't work out how to apply it:
[tex]\sqrt{s}=\sqrt{(x_{a}E)(x_{b}E)}
[/tex]

i'm still a bit stuck on the other parts...

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the relativistic momentum and energy.

Two beams of equal energy with equal and opposite momenta will utilize all the KE in the interaction (assuming a dead on center collision).

So for part (a), the target hitting the wall,
all energy is lost and so the total energy of each proton is available for production?
Meaning [tex]E = \sqrt{p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}_{0}c^{2}}

E = \sqrt{p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}_{0}c^{2}}

proton rest mass = 938MeV

E = \sqrt{p^{2}c^{2}+938^{2}}
[/tex]
but how do you get the velocity to workout the momentum?

For part (b), an electron-proton collision, you are saying all the kinetic energy is used up meaning just the rest mass energy is left??

for part (c) as above?

and was part (d) incorrect?

I found another formula that describes the total energy available for making particles:
[tex]E=\sqrt{1+\frac{K}{2mc^{2}}}[/tex]
Where K is the kinetic energy of the system beforehand...
so for part (a)
K=1TeV
m=0.000938 TeV/c^2
So E = 23 TeV

but energy can't just be generated, so where have I gone wrong? And how do I expand for the other forumla?

Thanks!

Related to Maximum available energy for proton accelerators

1. What is the maximum available energy for proton accelerators?

The maximum available energy for proton accelerators varies depending on the specific accelerator. However, currently the highest energy achieved by a proton accelerator is 13 TeV (teraelectronvolts) at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland.

2. How is the maximum energy for proton accelerators determined?

The maximum energy for proton accelerators is determined by the strength of the magnetic fields and the length of the accelerator. The higher the magnetic field and the longer the accelerator, the greater the energy that can be achieved.

3. What is the purpose of increasing the maximum energy for proton accelerators?

Increasing the maximum energy for proton accelerators allows scientists to study particles at higher energies and explore new frontiers in physics. This can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of our universe and potentially uncover new particles or phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to the maximum energy for proton accelerators?

Yes, there are limitations to the maximum energy for proton accelerators. One limitation is the cost and technological challenges of building and operating higher energy accelerators. Another limitation is the physical constraints of the materials used in the accelerators, as they can only withstand certain levels of energy before breaking down.

5. What are some potential applications of proton accelerators with higher maximum energy?

Proton accelerators with higher maximum energy could have applications in various fields, such as medical physics for cancer treatment, materials science for developing new materials, and energy production through nuclear fusion. They could also be used to recreate the conditions of the early universe and study the origins of our universe.