Maximum angular velocity and free body diagram

In summary: The correct equation is certainly Ffrcosθ - Fnsinθ = m((v^2)/r). But maybe you fixed it up later in your calculation somehow.
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

I have found the question I am having trouble with here:

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/block-mass-m-rest-surface-incline-adistance-h-10cm-base-height-incline-ish-50cm--coefficie-q218123

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

After doing my free body diagram, I picked the vertical axis to be y and the horizontal axis to be r.
Force total in the r direction= Fnsinθ-Ffrcosθ= m((v^2)/r)
In the y direction, = Ffrsinθ + FnCosθ-mg=0, b/c a=0

If this box is not to be in motion, then the sum of these forces should be zero. I set the two equations = to zero, while solving for v, but it did not come out to the 1.8 that is given as a solution. Are my components at least correct? If so, where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fredrogers3 said:
s to be y and the horizontal axis to be r.
Force total in the r direction= Fnsinθ-Ffrcosθ= m((v^2)/r)
In which direction does each of those forces act? What is the direction of acceleration?

Don't the negative and positive signs indicate the direction? This is knowing that r is positive to the right and y is positive upwards.

fredrogers3 said:
Don't the negative and positive signs indicate the direction? This is knowing that r is positive to the right and y is positive upwards.
I was hinting that you have some signs wrong.

haruspex said:
I was hinting that you have some signs wrong.

I see a is negative, but I don't see anything wrong with the other signs. My rough free body diagram is attached

Attachments

• mg.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 227
fredrogers3 said:
I see a is negative, but I don't see anything wrong with the other signs. My rough free body diagram is attached
You diagram is fine as far as I can tell (you don't show where the axis is). I ask again, which way is the centripetal acceleration? Which of the forces you have in the equation act in that direction?

haruspex said:
You diagram is fine as far as I can tell (you don't show where the axis is). I ask again, which way is the centripetal acceleration? Which of the forces you have in the equation act in that direction?

Pointing towards the center, thus, technically it is -v^2/r. However, does that have any bearing on the sign of the components of the normal force and friction? I thought that had to do with which way the coordinate axes point

fredrogers3 said:
Pointing towards the center, thus, technically it is -v^2/r. However, does that have any bearing on the sign of the components of the normal force and friction? I thought that had to do with which way the coordinate axes point
The correct equation is certainly Ffrcosθ - Fnsinθ = m((v^2)/r). But maybe you fixed it up later in your calculation somehow.
I get 1.99 rad/sec, not 1.8. What do you get? If not 1.99, please post the details of your whole calculation.

Related to Maximum angular velocity and free body diagram

1. What is maximum angular velocity?

Maximum angular velocity is the maximum rate at which an object can rotate about an axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

2. How is maximum angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Maximum angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula v = rw, where v is linear velocity, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest, and w is the angular velocity. This means that as angular velocity increases, so does linear velocity.

3. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows the object as a point or a dot, and all the forces acting on it are drawn as arrows with their magnitude and direction.

4. Why is a free body diagram important for understanding maximum angular velocity?

A free body diagram is important for understanding maximum angular velocity because it helps us identify and analyze all the forces acting on an object. This is essential in determining the net force and torque acting on the object, which ultimately affects its maximum angular velocity.

5. How can knowledge of maximum angular velocity and free body diagrams be applied in real-life situations?

Knowledge of maximum angular velocity and free body diagrams can be applied in real-life situations in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, engineers use this knowledge to design structures and machines that can withstand certain levels of angular velocity, and physicists use it to study the motion of objects in circular motion. In sports, understanding maximum angular velocity can help athletes optimize their movements and improve their performance.