Maximum Acceleration, Speed, and Position of Oscillating Object

• Thread starter Kudo Shinichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the equation of motion for an object is y(t) = 2.0cos(0.5t+pi/4)m. The maximum acceleration and speed can be found by differentiating the equation, with the maximum occurring when the sine or cosine function is equal to 1. To find the speed when the object is 1.2m from its equilibrium position, the time it takes for the object to reach 1.2m must be determined. The kinetic and potential energies at that point can also be found, but the mass of the object is not given in the problem.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!A problem on oscillation

Homework Statement

the equation of motion of an object is y(t)=2.0cos(0.5t+pi/4)meter
a) Find its maximum acceleration and maximum speed, and its position at the time of these maxima.
b) what is the speed of the object when it is +1.2m from its equilibrium position?
c) what are the kinetic potntial and total energies at that point?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) for this part I don't reall understand what does the question mean by the maximum, is it when cos equals to 1?
b) derive 2.0cos(0.5t+pi/4), which equals to -2sin(0.5t+pi/4)*0.5=-1sin(0.5t+pi/4)
then plug the 1.2 into the unknown variable, which equals to -sin(0.5*1.2+pi/4)=-0.98 I don't really think it is the correct solution for this part
c) I have to find out the correct v from part B and plug into both kinetic and potential energy equation, but I have one more problem here, which is how do i get mass for this question?
P((1/2mv^2)i) + K(1/2mv^2)i) = P((1/2mv^2)f) + K(1/2mv^2)f)

Thank you for helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org

(a)When you differentiate to find the velocity, you will, as you know get a sine function. The maximum of the speed occurs when the sine function is equal to 1. Similarly when you differentiate once more you get a cosine function and the maximum of the acceleration occurs when the cosine function is equal to 1, so you were on the right track.
Notice that you will have to figure out the time it takes for sine and cosine to get to 1to fully answer the question.

(b) Here the problem asks what is the speed WHEN the object is a 1.2m, but you substituted meters for time! That is not correct. You need to figure out how long it takes for the object to reach 1.2m

(c) Not every answer is in a numerical form. If they don't give you the mass, then just express your answer in terms of m.

Related to Maximum Acceleration, Speed, and Position of Oscillating Object

What is oscillation?

Oscillation refers to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of an object or system between two points or states. It can occur in various forms, such as mechanical, electrical, or biological oscillations.

What causes oscillation?

Oscillation is caused by a restoring force acting on the object or system. This force brings the object back to its original position after it has been displaced.

What are some examples of oscillation?

Some common examples of oscillation include a swinging pendulum, the vibration of guitar strings, and the beating of a heart.

How is oscillation measured?

Oscillation can be measured in terms of its frequency, amplitude, and period. Frequency refers to the number of oscillations per unit time, amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, and period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation.

What are some practical applications of oscillation?

Oscillation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used in timekeeping devices such as clocks and watches, as well as in the design of bridges and buildings to withstand vibrations. Oscillations in the form of sound waves are the basis of communication systems, and they play a crucial role in the functioning of the inner ear.