Maximizing Volume of a Rectangular Prism: Can't Get Optimum Value for $x$

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the optimum value for $x$ in a given equation and the process of obtaining the maximum volume for a rectangular prism. The conversation also mentions using the quadratic formula and graphing to find the solution. In the end, the solution is found to be $x=2.11$ with a maximum volume of approximately $192.45cm^2$.
DeusAbscondus
No matter how or what strategy I try, I can't get the optimum value for $x$ in the following equation:

$$V=4x^3-60x^2+200x$$ Let V=Volume of a rectangular prism, so:
$$V'=12x^2-60x+200$$ Set V'=0 to get turning point
$$12x^2-60x+200=0$$
The answer given in my text is when
$$ x=2.11 \Rightarrow \text{ the maximum volume is }\approx 192.45cm^2$$

I can graph it to get this, but can't get it using the quadratic formula for some reason.

some help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
No matter how or what strategy I try, I can't get the optimum value for $x$ in the following equation:

$$V'=12x^2-60x+200$$

\[ V'=12x^2-120x+200 \]

CB

Take another look at the linear or second term of your derivative...

DeusAbscondus said:

$$V'=12x^2-60x+200$$ Set V'=0 to get turning point
$$12x^2-60x+200=0$$
The answer given in my text is when
$$ x=2.11 \Rightarrow \text{ the maximum volume is }\approx 192.45cm^2$$

I can graph it to get this, but can't get it using the quadratic formula for some reason.

some help would be appreciated

[tex] V' = 12x^2 - 120 x + 200 [/tex]
[tex] 12x^2 - 120x + 200 = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 3x^2 - 30 + 50 = 0 [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{30 \mp \sqrt{900 - 4(3)(50}}{6} = \frac{ 30 \mp 10 \sqrt{3}}{6} [/tex]
study the sign of V' around it is zeros we will get it has a maximum at [tex] x = \frac{30 - 10\sqrt{3}}{6} [/tex]

DeusAbscondus said:
No matter how or what strategy I try, I can't get the optimum value for $x$ in the following equation:Thanks people; what a goose am I; had been staring at this way too long; now I've got it:
$$V'=12x^2-120x+200$$ Set V'=0 to get turning point
$$12x^2-120x+200=0$$ (simply by factoring by 4 then apply quadratic formula)
$$3x^2-30x+50=0$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{30\pm\sqrt{900-600}}{6}$$
$$=\frac{30\pm\sqrt{300}}{6}\Rightarrow \frac{30-\sqrt{300}}{6}\approx2.11$$(Dance)(Rofl)

Related to Maximizing Volume of a Rectangular Prism: Can't Get Optimum Value for $x$

1. What is the formula for the volume of a rectangular prism?

The formula for the volume of a rectangular prism is V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

2. How do you find the optimum value for x in a rectangular prism?

The optimum value for x in a rectangular prism can be found by using the formula V = x(l-2x)(w-2x), where l and w are the length and width, respectively. You can then use calculus to find the maximum value of this function.

3. What if the maximum value for x still does not give the optimum volume?

If the maximum value for x does not give the optimum volume, there may be other factors affecting the volume of the rectangular prism, such as constraints on the dimensions or the material used. In this case, it may be necessary to re-evaluate the design and make adjustments accordingly.

4. Can different values for x result in the same volume for a rectangular prism?

Yes, it is possible for different values of x to result in the same volume for a rectangular prism. This is because there are multiple combinations of length, width, and height that can result in the same volume. However, only one of these combinations will give the optimum value for x.

5. Are there any practical applications for maximizing the volume of a rectangular prism?

Yes, there are many practical applications for maximizing the volume of a rectangular prism. It can be used in engineering and architecture to design efficient structures, in packaging to maximize the amount of product that can be stored, and in manufacturing to optimize the use of materials. It can also be used in mathematical problem-solving and in various fields of science.